Best mat'l for relay core?

Hi guys:

I'm wanting to wind a small coil for use as an electromagnet, like you might find in a relay. What core material should I use that will give me the maximum pull without permanently magnetizing? What do they use in inexpensive relays?

Thanks for any responses.

Don

Reply to
eromlignod

Silicon steel, such as used in power transformers will work. Most magnetics companies won't sell small quantities. If this is a one-of-a-kind project, try taking an old transformer apart.

Reply to
Jon

In low carbon steel, I think the grain boundaries have a lot to do with magnetic remnance. So, if you build some core structure, you might want to heat it red hot and let it cool as slowly as possible by wrapping it in a fiberglass blanket or something similar, to let the grains grow a bit and get a completely softened chunk with no work hardening.

Then put the windings in it.

Reply to
John Popelish

If I just used plain, low-carbon steel, what caveats would there be?

Don

Reply to
Don A. Gilmore