backlit parts bin

So I'm thinking of a ridiculous project. You know how you look for little doohickeys among hundreds of drawers? Well imagine that behind each drawer is a RGB led and there is a uC driving this somehow. You look for a screw, all the cabinets with screws light up. The colors could be for anything. Doesn't have to be color, really. Ahhh Fridays.... Waiting for 5 pm....

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1
Brendan Gillatt

Not quite as good, but I've seen a Filemaker database (they're quick to set up and have a good search feature) that served as an index. So, instead of the mortgage being under the name of the bank, or the street name of the property, or the name of the escrow company that put a folder around it, it's in 'file 1066' or 'room 3, shelf B6, box labeled August 1988'.

Mrs. Basil Frankwiler would be SO interested...

Reply to
whit3rd

I label my parts bins with A1, A2... B1, B2... etc. Then make an index file by location and part number.

I just pull up the index file and search on the part I want.

...Jim Thompson

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress
discovers that it can bribe the public with the public\'s money."

                 - Alexis de Tocqueville

Don't do what the early Radiospares CD catalogue searches did:

Me: Collector-emitter voltage BC108? CD: BC108 is a transistor - more info? Me: Yes CD: A transistor is a semiconductor - more info? Me: Yes CD: A semiconductor is a component - more info Me: ....Pulls out mains plug and takes printed data sheets down from shelf.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Wayyy Back when people used to place parts in PC boards, I recall seeing a PC board assembly station where a projector illuminated the portion of the PC board where the next component was to be installed. I think the parts bin had the same indication.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Yep, that one is pretty ridiculous. Trying to computerize a non existent stocking system is a fools errand. Put in a stocking system first, let the people using it get used to it and see if there is still demand for silly computer tricks that can't work without a proper stocking system in place.

Reply to
JosephKK