audio/video connectors on TV

This is a useful tool if you have multiple digital audio devices you want to switch, it's been common for like 30 years to put SPDIF optical and/or coaxial outputs on all sorts of AV equipment but almost nobody ever made fully digital switchers/mixers like you might have more than one of those you'd like to blend or at least switch between

bitrex

The only time the TV is on is when we're watching a show or movie. How would an audio/video intercom or an audio player work then?

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Sun, 21 Mar 2021 09:44:22 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

For use as monitor But this is sci.electronics design I remember in the old days I wanted video-in from my Philips LDL1000 VCR

ldl-1000 totaal02.html on my TV that that had its chassis live. Philips made an IF modulator and a switch, so mains decoupling via RF transformer, you had to build it into the TV.... selected between tuner and VCR.

I modified that recorder for color and build a RF modulator.

So open the beast, find the audio on the PCB, do an optical isolation and make your own output. Is not that hard is it now?

Opamp optocoupler Done that with phone links too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 21 Mar 2021 17:53:37 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in <s38169$24q$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>:

Or better even use a dual opamp to drive 2 600 to 600 Ohm audio transformers and now you can put it into any mixer or amplifier and no ground loops and it is a standard. Or at least it was...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I saw this for "sound in" when a VGA video input is used.

Reply to
bilou

Sounds very hard to me.

Reply to
jlarkin

You'd change the input (typically, there's a few HDMIs, and one or two game-port or VGA analog inputs). Input, TV input, or Source will be likely buttons on the remote...

Reply to
whit3rd

We'd miss who did the murder.

Reply to
jlarkin

What, no PIP? TiVO? HD Homerun?

You can always get Jessica Fletcher on demand... first, find the internet.

Reply to
whit3rd

It's component video, (which is not RGB) there's RGB inputs on the nearby VGA connector.

it could be L R and Y on the 3.5mm and Pb and Pr on the 2.5mm

that would make connecing PC audio and the VGA simpler

Reply to
Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:42:59 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

????????? is this sci.electronics.desing???

You can actually learn a lot from looking a bit closer and an other angle than from the screen at modern equipment Something you will have to do in fault finding repair and maintenance, The knowledge you gain from understanding designs from others is invaluable. If it is all too difficult did you not just bore an new intern to death by pestering him / her /it with some beads?

Now there is a simple beginners task, an audio output.

cheesus rice where are we now????

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's huge. Just taking all the covers off would be a chore. Consumer electronics tends to hide fasteners, too.

Does anyone repair TVs any more? They seldom break, they are shockingly cheap, and they keep getting better. And are pretty much impossible to repair.

What are interns for, but to do basic stuff and learn?

He'll enjoy it.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Mon, 22 Mar 2021 08:30:18 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Oh boy

Well I repaired my Samsung monitor some years ago, replaced electrolytic caps in the power supply. For the rest I must say I am very content with Samsung, TV, monitors, laptop. All keeps working over the years.

There is a law in the making here in the EU that requires things to be repairable, just to decrease the garbage heap ...

I think this is a good thing.

Well interns I have had had an electronics education, you would expect them to figure out how to measure things and make an audio output on some TV,'

Probably would learn from it.

BTW in the simplest form, as TV has speakers, and that bad sound is usually due to the housing of the TV, say those say '8 Ohm", now make a plug for left and right on the back and a switch. Speaker cables to some real 8 Ohm speakers, gold is OK, but more as investment, not so much for the HiFi.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

TV repair shops used to be common. Are there any left?

Why pay to fix a $200 LCD TV?

Reply to
jlarkin

IME audio out is often a pair of Phono sockets.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

The Panasonic "Viera"-class TVs seem not to include them:

Though in practice if an LCD TV has audio outs it could be on RCA or

1/8" jack; even some $2000 TVs only have a stereo headphone jack for analog audio out.
Reply to
bitrex