Another annoyance

We just sent down some one to Long Island the other day and most likely one of us will be there again sometime next week..

Not that I am a big fan of going to Long Island however, when you need an irradiation beam tube assembly put to gather and picked up, that is just about the only reason we'd be there.. I really don't like the terrain there.

Something on a different note, kind of puts a new perspective on how we got blind sided the last few years.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Until Tom Biasi posted the real solution, no one knew. So what's your problem?

Got a circuit difficulty, post it. Larkin will "solve" it for you ;-) ...Jim Thompson

This was in the notes I sent you on 30 Dec 2011.

Two things you need to do.

  1. Fix blocked downloaded ZIP (when you unzip, it uses current date instead of date in the archive).
    Use method #3.
  2. * Kill W7 zip folders.
    Use the method at the bottom of the page. Instead of deleting the registry entries, make them invalid by adding "DELETE" to the end of the registry names. That way, you can easily restore the function if you feel demented.

I've found that 7-Zip works pretty good (32-bit version). 64-bit version a couple years ago had some annoyances.

Reply to
qrk

You would be helpless without this group, wouldn't you?

Reply to
John S

I'm still clinging by my fingertips to XP Pro ;-) So I didn't think to look into your Win7 advise.

But that's next. This is the last machine with XP pro on it :-( ...Jim Thompson

Win2k & XP are pretty sweet operating systems compared to W7 wrt user ergonomics. W7 has some nice stuff and is the easiest M$ OS to install. W7 takes about 2 weeks to get it to feel right. My list is a good starting point. Unfortunately, Windows Explorer in W7 is a horrible child providing the worst user experience one could ever devise (designed for home entertainment, not a work environment).

Be sure to do item 1 above or you will be plagued with wrong date files when you extract them from a downloaded zip file.

Reply to
qrk

I've been using Windows Explorer for general operation, but Directory Opus when I need to do a search and find something obscure. I'm running (as usual) a really old copy. I need to contact them and see if they've cured some annoying quirks. If they have, I won't use Windows Explorer at all. ...Jim Thompson

Lemmie guess... you never use Windows Update either.

No wonder you have viruses. The updates CURES vulnerabilities.

D'OH!

Reply to
MrTallyman

$85 for a file manager? Ouch.

For finding files, may I suggest "Everything":

It builds an index of every filename on your machine and sits in the system tray. Almost no CPU overhead that I can measure. When you need to find a file, bring it up, type in a partial filename or regex expression and it will bring up a file list. You can open, run, or delete the file(s) from the menu. I'm addicted and have it on all my various machines. The command line version is similar to whence or locate on Unix/Linux boxes. It's a bit messy to configure on Vista and Win 7 due to UAC (Useless Account Control), but there are instructions in the FAQ that work.

Update, now or update later. Eventually, everyone updates, usually after a problem.

Incidentally, you asked me a few dozen articles back why I was treating your zip folder problem as some form of corruption. Two reasons. Your description was minimal and somewhat vague. Also, I'm mostly a "repairman". I only see broken machines and trashed operating systems. I'm sure there are people out there that have perfectly functional systems, but I never see them.

I'll confess that I didn't know about the solution to the zip folder problem provided by Tom Biasi.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

If you hurry you can be here for the Hurricane season and the next earth quake.

Martin Riddle

Thanks for the pity :-) I'm in northwest Jersey closer to Pa. and NY state then to all the nonsense. New Jersey is actually a nice state if you can ignore the politics. (I have a hard time doing that but wife won't move) Don't bring your gun.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Hurricanes are all wimped out by the time they hit LonGuyland. And if NYC ever did have a decent quake (which it will, eventually) it will be a pile of smoking rubble.

(Having lived in New Orleans and San Francisco, I figure that hurricanes are a lot more dangerous than earthquakes.)

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

To help Windows Explorer, I have Classic Shell installed which helps make Explorer somewhat bearable.

I'm using Agent Ransack for file search.

Reply to
qrk

Install WinZip?

Reply to
Robert Baer

--
Since NYC wasn't built above a geologically active zone, how do you
figure that?

I don't know that one... tell me about it.

I just got an E-mail stating that the Ultra Edit is also offering a new search tool.

My problem is incessantly trying to remember how I did something 10 years ago, and trying to find that schematic by two or more keywords :-) ...Jim Thompson

Could be ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I was at my client's location when the Long Island quake hit. It jerked the building so bad I thought the adjacent commuter train had derailed and hit the building. By the time I uttered, "What the f... was that", everyone else had fled the building ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I know that :-)

I've been down-state Jersey... very pleasant... excellent Italian restaurants! ...Jim Thompson

Pay attention to the thread... Tom Biasi nailed it as a rogue DLL that nanny-Microsoft installed. ...Jim Thompson