Analog Squarer {Y=X^2} 1 Quardrant

I have looked at the AD835 and other 4-Q multipliers but they are costly a nd power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design that will be used in a high reliability product. Input range of 0.05V to 1.70V with a bandwidth of dc to at least 1.0MHz. Simplicity, small size, low powe r

Reply to
Harry D

I have one TDA8145 pulled from, probably a monitor (possibly a Trinitron??).

Good luck finding any though, :^)

You might be able to get away with a "linearized JFET" circuit. No idea if they can be made that accurate over operating range, and would probably need trimming (you didn't mention if that's a no-no).

DC-1MHz makes PWM a stretch, but not impossible.

Tim

1.70V with a bandwidth of dc to at least 1.0MHz. Simplicity, small size, low power
Reply to
Tim Williams

power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design that will be used in a high reliability product. Input range of 0.05V to 1.70V with a bandwidth of dc to at least 1.0MHz. Simplicity, small size, low power

x^2 = exp(2*ln(x))

log-antilog with thermistor temperature compensation?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Dual integrator with reset and sample hold ?

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

and power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design tha t will be used in a high reliability product. Input range of 0.05V to 1.70V with a bandwidth of dc to at least 1.0MHz. Simplicity, small size, low pow er

Find a microcontroller with a 10Msa ADC and do the multiply in that. Will c ost you max 1 USD. Then you can do more complex arithmetics

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design that will be used in a high reliability product. Input range of 0.05V to 1.70V with a bandwidth of dc to at least 1.0MHz. Simplicity, small size, low power

MC1594?

...Jim Thompson

I'm not sure you'll get that speed at that price -- but it'd certainly be worth looking!

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Is it still available?

I worked next to a guy who was responsible for a board with that part, and every time the manufacturer changed their process he'd have to tweak values on the board to keep the performance up to snuff.

(But, they needed drifts to be spot on -- if that's not the case here, then you're probably OK-er).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

and power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design tha t will be used in a high reliability product. Input range of 0.05V to 1.70V with a bandwidth of dc to at least 1.0MHz. Simplicity, small size, low pow er

Reply to
Harry D

power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design that will be used in a high reliability product. Input range of 0.05V to 1.70V with a bandwidth of dc to at least 1.0MHz. Simplicity, small size, low power

A nonlinear segment circuit would probably work at this speed and accuracy.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The MC1594 must be one of JT's old designs using Vac tubes. Normal PS is +/-15V with +/-4.0V of CM dead range so worthless in +/-5V unit. i shoulder added +/-5V operation is a requirement.

Regards, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

I agree John, a nonlinear circuit would be simpler in my design. If I could design a circuit who's output would be 1/Vin with all my other requirements, that would be perfect. Trimming is not allowed, got to work in production, no tweaking, every time. Regards, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

Three logic inverters in series, with resistor feedback and resistor to the input. Makes voltage to frequency convertor with square law dependence. Then a monostable to convert back F to V. One logic IC that's all it takes.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design

How about LM13700 (figure 6 on the datasheet is a multiplier)? It's not happy at your temperature extremes, but it IS cheap and runs on fleapower.

Reply to
whit3rd

power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design

power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design

Yea but that +/- 15v IC will not operate in a +/-5V domain.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design that will be used in a high reliability product. Input range of 0.05V to 1.70V with a bandwidth of dc to at least 1.0MHz. Simplicity, small size, low power

Was going to say RC4200, but Fairchild dropped the ball after taking it from Raytheon.

So:

RL

Reply to
legg

Harry D a écrit :

power hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design that will be used in a high reliability product. Input range of 0.05V to 1.70V with a bandwidth of dc to at least 1.0MHz. Simplicity, small size, low power

Does BW need to be 1MHz on both inputs?

If not you could use a digipot with a small uc with an integrated ADC (or build your own with internal comparator) for the slow input.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Fred Bartoli a écrit :

Sorry I missed the squarer part, only retaining the multiplier.

Forget that.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

costly

< hogs. I need a simpler (+/-5% accuracy [-40C to 105C]) design that will be used in a

bandwidth

You might consider a multiplying DAC. But they are also expensive and you would need an A/D as well as (in some cases) an SPI interface for the digital input. Here is one:

The AD633 multiplier is reasonable cost but minimum +/- 8V:

I have about 15-20 pieces of AD534 in 14 pin gold/ceramic DIP I can offer for well under the present list prices, but it is also minimum +/- 8V.

The best option may be a PIC with dual simultaneous high speed A/D and hardware multiplier. The output could be PWM or digital into an external

DAC.

You might be able to use the diode square law function as described here:

or more recently:

Another technique is using PWM where the amplitude as well as the pulse width are derived from the signal you want to multiply.

Also look at the LT2940, which uses a multiplier for power measurement:

nitor-msop-12/dp/52R9872
hell_Lee.pdf

This old post may help:

55.html

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

I don't know, probably. One of my junior engineers did that version, as his Master's and included _my_ NPN-PNP mirror turn-around.

The only error mechanism would have been offset. Maybe your "next to a guy" didn't read the appnote ;-) ...Jim Thompson