An old "500MC biquinary counter"

Dunno. You can get these weird pseudo beam-lead things that they claim are GaAs TDs, but probably the factory shut down long ago.

Given the excesses of deranged central planners (but I repeat myself), it might take awhile to sell off the backlog 10 at a time on eBay. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Here's a copy of the circuit as it appeared in Electronics magazine back in 1966. The diodes are 1N752A Zeners. It's redrawn here so it's easier to understand. Just a divide-by-5 ring counter. Looks like the Zeners are there to protect the B-E junctions of the right-hand transistor of each stage.

Cheers, Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

OK... I thought this NG could accept small attachments... Guess not. See the image at

Sorry for the confusion, Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Thanks, they are indeed zeners and it is indeed a 500MHz circuit. I'd never thought that.

Sometimes it does but most news servers clip that away. Most also won't let people subscribe to binary groups so a.b.s.e. has outlived its usefulness.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Being a ring counter means it only has to toggle at 1/5 the input frequency?

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

There's some details missing, though: the input, I guess, has to be pulses.

And, it has to change polarity every five inputs (so, a flip/flop following divides by two, its Q and /Q outputs can gate that behavior).

Or, am I missing something? It certainly doesn't have any provision for reset...

Reply to
whit3rd

The 2K resistors never see a current change. ECL was neat.

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

Could it be a step recovery diode? I'm not sure how that would be of use in this circuit.

BTW, why do you say this is a bi-quinary counter? It looks to me like a ring counter, but without an inversion, so just a shift register. But then I can't figure out how the durn thing works, so I'm not sure what it is. Is this the quinary part of a bi-quinary counter?

--

Rick C
Reply to

No, that's just a Schmitt-trigger. Not the same.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Hey! At >10GPa, CO2 is as good as SiO2 or GeO2, so there!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Just going off the title of the original post on that "SeekIC" schematic dumping-ground site.

I'm trying to pull up that post but unfortunately I'm not having any luck finding it again... :-(

Reply to
bitrex

What is biquinary anyway? The name suggests the operation of the 7490.

Could it have been discreet? I don't see how it could count anyway, unless those 'diodes' are very exotic things.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

It's a non-standard standard decimal encoding scheme. Generally there is a two and a five portion (hence bi-quinary) of the digit. The two is just a ff and often the five portion is a ring counter for maximum speed. Sometimes not.

Another solution/coding is a five-bit Johnson counter.

I don't see a reset.

Reply to
krw

Semiconductors are not known for being talkative, whether or not they're discrete.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Joerg sure seems to have some that aren't very quiet.

Reply to
krw