An Essay On The Psychology Of Invention In The Mathematical Field

Wow. You are a 24/7 hate machine. Do you actually ever enjoy life? Without exploiting other people for fun, I mean.

I do, I do enjoy life very much, most of the time. Probably not in a fashion you'd understand but it is what it is.

Oh dear, what great crime am I guilty of now.

Reply to
bitrex

I'll give an example, this N scale limited-edition Amtrak MOW set is just fantastic!

Not sure it's worth the $400 asking price but it's pretty sweet.

I've read this hobby is dying among younger people, but I think the old timers have been saying this for years. High prices on scale models due to relatively limited market demand is likely part of it, but I think advances in 3D printing may change that.

Very relaxing hobby when one wants to do something sort-of engineering related but not think about circuits or software or math etc. for a while. Model trains are like chocolate cake, aside from the price issue if you can't sell this hobby to teenagers and young adults must be a pretty bad salesman.

Reply to
bitrex

Of course then I start thinking about interlocking signalling and how you could use a cheap PLC with a state machine to manage all the turnouts and signal aspects for five or six switches in an interlocking automatically. Could even mount it in a lil model interlocking tower and have a model interlocking tower that performs the same task as it does in real life.

Might be a product idea there, somewhere. The old-timers who are into the hobby, it's money they have, but peace they lack. and electronics design skill.

Reply to
bitrex

Which Pope do they think they are?

I read George Patton believed he'd fought in the Punic Wars in a past life.

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Dec 2020 15:02:44 +0000) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

But I do see a danger there, we sort of assign decisions that will decide on life and death already to AI, say self-driving cars and medical diagnosis for example. Is the failure rate different or even better than say a driver or doctor? AI can do more in a short time, computahs can run 24/7, that is a plus. There is a project that has AI say why it did what it did... for example here they talk about it:

I looked into string theory, IIRC their website had some math you needed to know, I would have to dig into that for a long time... did not think it was worth it.. But my main objective to string theory is that by just adding some dimensions you can basically explain anything.

Nice picture,

wonder what that thing he has on the table on the right, looks like an ultrasonic transducer like the ones I have:
but could as well be some microwave stuff... Them old meters :-) Familiar with that!

In the end there are a few interesting things at least to me there was the rotating super-conducting 'anti gravity' experiment;

I did some research on what happened it that did lead to a women working for US DOD
all quiet, but still going?? Again, maybe US has it already...

Got myself a YBCO-123 super-conducting disc, and I have the cryo cooler....

Have not done the rotating experiment [yet]; I just wonder, if what we call 'dark matter' has even the slightest interaction with normal matter then very simple experiments like a partially shielded rotating disk should show a force in one direction. And maybe a super conducting disc more? Curiosity.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A few people have had allergic reactions to the Pfizer vaccine but then that would be true for any vaccine. All the UK cases involved people who were so allergic that they routinely carry an epipen round with them.

Guidance has been changed *NOT* to vaccinate such people. Those I know that have already had the vaccine are front line ICU nurses. They say their arm is a bit sore for some the next day but that is about it.

Evidence for this claim? You are getting as bad as Qanon for believing and spouting junk science and deranged conspiracy theories.

I will be quite happy to take the Pfizer vaccine if offered although I think by the time they get round to me it is more likely the AstraZeneca or Moderna ones that will be on offer. The Pfizer one is very tetchy about cold chain storage temperature which makes it a PITA to use.

You are missing the point by imagining a big explosion at the start. It is entirely possible from the equations that prior to the Big Bang there was quite literally nothing; a void with neither time nor space.

Our universe is possibly just a quantum fluctuation in the next tier up. Various multiverse theories play with this sort of idea. But until experimentalists can shoot them down they remain wild flights of fancy even if some theorists think they are beautiful enough to be right.

M-theory allows new universes to form pretty much continuously and even from the remnants of previous ones (at least in principle) see

I am slightly sceptical that this is right given that space now looks destined to rip itself apart into some sort of hyper vacuum.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I had a similar reaction the first time I had the typhoid and cholera injections. It may be relevant that the fluid contained phenol.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Dec 2020 09:00:50 +0000) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

Yes but this is much more serious, health-care worker without any allergies lands in intensive care an other one gets very sick too, but recovers, read the link! That RNA stuff has been hardly tested. It is all big business, You read you buy. Fear sells.

Uploaded this to reuters this morning: Secret prices covid vaccin shots in EU known Found it on NOS teletext (Netherlands) just now Link (but page number will change over time)

is in Dutch Somebody from Belgium put the secret prices online. In short per shot: AstraZeneca 1 Euro 78 cent Pfizer Biontech 12 Euro Moderna 14 Euro 70 cents

Ha, your neural net has already been formed by the UK and other media :-)!!! Again, READ the

He who does not want to see is effectively blind!!

That is the divide by zero the mamaticians always end up with, singularities, no time.. what not

Indeed, muliverses where in one everybody walks on their hands... sure,

Long ago I coded some simulations of a Le Sage type theory, and that system worked at least for a few heavenly bodies. The question that then came up was: 'Where do these Le Sage particles come from?" Stars and black holes are a possibility, Posted that to sci.physics (or was it astro) and somebody replied: "Your theory is wrong, because if it was right the universe would expand ever faster." Like pushing itself apart. Bit later that expansion was found. I am not saying 'It IS that way", but such a model allows at least predictions to be made, for example (if it was the only bang) that the effect gravity would decrease over time, causing quite different things at the outside boundary. Those particles would also cause internal heating of large masses,,, as we see with Pluto.. A very different logical universe. Of course in some theory (with strings attached) a universe without logic should also exist... Experiment, mamaticians (no insult intended) came later, dreamers, divide by zero

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

PS as to 'dark matter'(already gave the NASa link, but also here), it may not exist at all:

MOND is back! Link to the paper open access free download pdf at that site.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje