adapt a 3 amp battery charger?

I have a cheap battery charger that I have had for a long time. It's rated at 3 amp/12 VDC. I've used it over the years to keep a variety of lead acid car batteries charged during periods of battery inactivity. It's worked fine for that, as far as I can tell.

The markings on the charger are:

input 60 cycle .6 amp 117 VAC output 12 VDC 3 amp Full wave rectifier

If I put a digital voltmeter on the charger leads, when the leads are NOT connected to anything, I show a reading of 13.56 VDC

I have a real small "nominal" 12 volt lead acid motorcycle battery, rated at 10 amp/hour.......that I want to charge. I'm told I should use a maximum of 1 amp current to charge this little battery.

Is there a quick and dirty way to adapt my 3 amp charger so that it's limited to 1 amp for this cycle battery? Keep in mind that the charger is a cheap one, and almost for sure not sophisticated in any manner.

Thank you...... Lee Carkenord

Reply to
carkenord

Put a 1.5 ohm, 2 watt or greater resistor in series with the battery.
Reply to
John Fields

Light bulb works too. Tail light with both filaments in parallel. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

What you need is an add-on charge controller for your cheap battery charger. A kit is available from Jaycar in Australia for just such a device. (watch out for line wrapping)

Ross Herbert