Active Probe vs Differential Probe

[snip]

Hopefully I got this right. It's somewhat new ground for me. (Hey! A pun :) )

1) Battery powered scope: I say no problem with CM noise. The scope probe and scope form only 1 loop. Same with a USB scope +battery powered laptop. It all floats.

2) Scope without ground plug:

Note: Risky...

There are 2 loops. The probe coax is one.. The earth path is the other. Since G and N meet at the electric box, it's up to the scope's power supply to not couple noise. I'd expect more CM noise compared to a battery powered scope.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Sure, as long as you don't get zapped. A rig like that could work kilovolts off ground. "Optocouple" the waveforms back to ground by photographing the screen!

The last case, regular scope without a ground plug, will still have some capacitive coupling back to the AC line, so some hf ground-loop noise can still happen.

But, in all cases, only one floating common exists. The Tek TPS allows four separate folating signals to be scoped simultaneously.

John