About film caps http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html

Not necessarily.

Depends on the board material, and whether the color is inherent or the result of the addition of a colored filler and/or pigment.

This link shows the QSC substrate pretty clearly:

The tip-off that this isn't paper/phenolic is the cloth pattern.

I did a little research and found a commercial non-phenolic material that had an essentially identical appearance.

This is all in the AAPLS google archives from a month or two ago.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

The substrate material is made by the same vendors, and using much the same process as the kinds of laminates people put on the kitchen countertops, etc. Micarta, for example appeas to be a major OEM in both the countertop and PC substrate (and other industrial insulator) markets.

The cloth pattern doesn't look like a "normal" glass-epoxy PC board to me. The "weave" is much too open. And it is so remarkably regular that at first I thought the pattern was printed on.

And the appearance of the shear/break line looks more like paper in the middle than layers of fiberglass mat or cloth. I have laid-up much more of each in my lifetime than I care to remember. Granted it is difficult to tell from a photo.

From some Googling I did yesterday, I learned that a thin layer of fibreglass on either side of a paper core is one of the kinds of substrate material available for cost-sensitive products (such as those amplifiers).

Reply to
Richard Crowley

It was your "education" that is as faulty. Catechism would be a better description. I got the US version. In what i was taught, there was essentially no European contribution to defeating WWII Germany. It was clearly false then, when i was i kid.

Stymied is a better description. If they had defeated the RAF, your so called navy would not have mattered, they would have rolled you up like a rug.

A truly hideous misconception, you did not have any heavy bombers. You do not understand the difference of being able to carry 50,000 lbs of bombs instead of 3000 lbs.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

I am not sure what "power parts" you saw; all that i could deduce were covered by a large heatsink, very visible in the right third of the third photograph (the second in the block of photos).

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Is the amplifier rated in excess of 1 kW? That is a lot of air.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

The spacing of the fiber bundles is made to accommodate the lead location of the power semiconductors. This increases the life of the punches quite a bit (They are not punching through the glass fibers). Tools / tooling are still expensive in China. (not that they are all that cheap in the US)

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

"joseph2k"

** So what the hell were Lancs, Halifaxes and Stirlings then ???

The Lanc has a standard bomb load of 14,000 lbs but also managed to deliver 22,000 lb "earthquake " bombs.

The Stirling carried 18,000 lbs including bombs in the wing roots.

The Halifax even more, with 6 additional bomb bays in the wing roots.

The tiny, wooden Mosquito carried 4000 lbs and made TWO return trips with that load to Berlin per night !!

** What drugs is this f****it on ?????

The USAAF B17 and B24 bombers carried 6000 lbs & 8000 lbs loads respectively.

The giant B29 carried a standard load of 20,000 lbs but was not used in Europe in WW2.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

So is America... They listen when someone cries for help. Yugoslavia, Irak etc.. Nazi-Germany. And so on.... Although, they overheard the cries, coming out of Germany (~1941), much longer than other actual cries, which are by far not so serious and mainly local troubles.

Lancaster.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Reply to