AADE L/C Meter drift..

Insert battery, decide to test and find this one works up to at least

2.5uF. Next day,

Power up Wait for "ready measure u" Select Cx Press Zero (reads 0.0pF) Let go and it reads -0.06pF (???) Let it sit, see it drifts upwards;by day end reads 2.82pF. Power down and re-try..now after pressing zero,it typically reads 2.58pF. Press Zero (reads 0.0pF), Let go and it reads -0.06pF (???) Drifts up as before.

WTF???

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:05:47 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Pretty good, mine drifts more than 3 pF in an hour. :-) Pressing zero does not thake that many calories.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Mine drifts a bit more then 3 pf in a hour. Still best bang for the buck I have found.. The repeatability is decent, in the short term, and that is what I need.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts

If I had sold it to you, I'd apologize profusely, refund your money immediately, and send you a prepaid shipping box with which to return it. Then I'd sign you up for my competition's mailing list. :-|

-- john

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Usually it takes 2 zeroing attempts to get zero. The drift, while apparently seen by others, is irksome and begs for explanation as to why it exists. To paraphrase the saying, just because 20 million Frenchmen see this problem, does not make it right. Hell, even the first Fairchild uA709 op amps did not drift like that..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Apples and oranges. Do you realize how tiny 0.06pF is?

It's the capacitance of a fraction of a millimeter of twisted pair wire. It's the capacitance of less than one millimeter of (narrow!) PCB trace over a ground plane. It's the capacitance between the open contacts of a small low-capacitance reed relay. It's less than one tenth of the gate capacitance of the smallest, lowest capacitance discrete switching MOSFET I know of (SD214).

It's... well, I suppose you get the picture by now.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Yeah. You don't know enough MOSFETs :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

You can buy a chip or beam lead schottky around 0.06 pF, packaged diodes around

0.25. A BFT25 collector capacitance is around 0.3. I use a Boonton 72 for that sort of stuff, but the AADE is good for most things.

Just moving your hand a little affects the AADE, so zeroing is tricky. It has a plastic case. The drift doesn't surprise me... it's a simple LC oscillator and frequency counter.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There's no range switching in the AADE front-end. Full scale is 1 uF, so 1 pF is

1 part per million. 0.06 pf is 60 parts per billion. The inductor in the LC oscillator, and the LM311, have got to have serious tempcos. 3 PPM drift in one day isn't bad!

Incidentally, FR4 has a horrible capacitance TC, in the ballpark of 950 PPM/deg C, so that must hurt, too. He has a bunch of parts and traces on the critical nodes.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Jeroen Belleman schrieb:

Hello,

very well said.

there is another prefix for so small values, 0.06 pF is 60 fF, Femtofarad. The next one is aF or Attofarad. Both are so small that only capacitances within an IC require these units.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:27:17 +0100) it happened Uwe Hercksen wrote in :

Capacitance between earth and moon is 152 uF You need long test leads.

Jan Panteltje

Please, enlighten me!

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

is

one

PPM/deg

Check, spacing of red/input terminal is extremely close to a switch (for starters). Concerning range switching, the MCU does that by changing frequency..which seems to put a hole in that analysis.

Reply to
Robert Baer

is

one

PPM/deg

The schematic is online on the AADE site. The uP measures the LC oscillator frequency but can't change it. There is a CALIB relay that adds some test capacitance, but it's additive, used at powerup. The "range switching" is software, downstream of the frequency measurement.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Sorry, I was just joking...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

is

one

PPM/deg

Put a scope and Eput meter on it, found it is just an oscillator at least similar to -a- schematic; range switching is/in software for display.

Q: Obvious why frequency changes WRT capacitor, but why does the amplitude run from around 500mV pk-pk (if i remember right) at lo capacitance to around 8mV pk-pk (if i remember right)? "schematic" indicates i was looking at the top of the parallel LC..

Reply to
Robert Baer

2.58pF.

pF is