8 bit decoder

hi ! i am working on a circuit and i need to decode 8 bit binary number to show that number to 7 segment BCD display.How can i do that ????

Reply to
heman_too_cool

hi ! i am working on a circuit and i need to decode 8 bit binary number to show that number to 7 segment BCD display.How can i do that ????

Reply to
heman_too_cool

hi ! i am working on a circuit and i need to decode 8 bit binary number to show that number to 7 segment BCD display.How can i do that ????

Reply to
heman_too_cool

hi ! i am working on a circuit and i need to decode 8 bit binary number to show that number to 7 segment BCD display.How can i do that ????

Reply to
heman_too_cool

If you want to display BCD data (0 thru 9) on a 7-segment display, something like a 7447 or CD4511 (or their modern equivalents) would work. For 8-bits, you'll need 2 chips and 2 LED displays. If you want to display hexadecimal (0 thru F), check out the Maxim ICM7212 (4 digits). I found the Maxim part by googling for "7-segment driver". HTH

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave Pollum

With a PIC, of course.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

I am doing something like this RIGHT NOW on a project I am working on.

I have two 16L8 PLD's and a table to decode the hex values. I split the data bus into two nibbles and feed each to the PLD. The PLD outputs drive the seven segments ... works like a charm

Reply to
samiam

If he wants a BCD display, he'll need three digits to cover the range

0..255.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Your 7 segment BCD display accepts 4 bits of data.

You have 8 bits which means you need 2 of them.

A decoder. Ummmm. You could do without one. Get a 8 BIT Serial IN Parallel OUT Shift register Chip. Connect the outputs to your 2 BCD display chips.

You could get the same result by cascading 8 flipflops instead of the shift register.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Edge