2TB upgraded to 32G

John Doe wrote in news:qbqrd7$md3$1 @dont-email.me:

chip,

my

for

movie

Whether it takes 3 seconds or twenty three seconds, it is still 'effortless' either way.

You also watch pots of water boil?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You cannot figure out where the bottleneck is?

Two USB drives. Same USB hub controller or two seperate ones inside the chromebook?

It has to go from the stick to RAM and then to the other stick.

On a move to a hard drive the write operations are chached and handled on the drive electronics so uniterrupted streams to the drive are typical. On an SSD a huge file streaming to it gets slowed by machine internals breaking things up into blocks and because the progress monitoring of a file write is different on an SSD.

Remember MFM? A file write took place and the file writing utility (MSDOS) or other checks the write integrity with a write op CRC, etc. afiter the file write. I know I refer to mere hardware interface. The goal was to use old small and slow to refer to the method.

an SDD checks the file write integrity? not the same. They go as they roll.

With the larger sizes, it seems that reading the entire file to perform a CRC test is unfeasible. So the write utilities have modified the methods of both writing and verifying.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

cam. It did not mention 32G before. So, i was gambling $10 on 2TB.

If only that were true.

don't go below, then the ones that do go below are far below.

Even if true, that doesn't mean that some of the higher priced ones are not what they are represented to be. And it doesn't just have to be capacity, it can be speed too. They can be knocking off a Sandisk high speed flash with a cheap, imitation Chinese one.

Like most vendors charging $15 for a given size device, then you see a fe w that are below $10 with none or few in between. Every one of the low pri ce devices are much smaller Flash with a "fix" to make them look like the l arger device they are being sold as.

It's not just size that's the issue.

ce does not have the memory claimed. At one point I was a bit ticked about this and I would buy from several of these vendors at a time, test the dev ices, then file a claim with eBay. None of the vendors fight it although t hey do sometimes play dumb and ask you to accept a partial refund since the y were also victims of the "dishonest factories". lol

ed to file within the indicted period, 2 months I believe.

It's generally true that Ebay will side with the buyer in a dispute. But that doesn't mean you always get your money back. Many items are sold on Ebay with no returns stated.

If the vendors want the item back they have to pay for the shipping too. They won't do that.

That's not true either. Most vendors on Ebay require you to pay the return shipping and to send the item back. You have to read the return policy for the specific item you are buying.

Reply to
trader4

Correct, it does not necessarily have to be a single chip, it just has to fit inside a pen drive. Still it's way out of line with realistic pricing and if the OP looked at the seller's feedback on Ebay, it's 92%, which is pretty bad. Most legitimate vendors have feedback of 99%+. This guy has 4 negatives, 39 positive in a year. And if you read even the positive ones, the vendor is selling counterfeit game cartridges. No feedback yet from buyers of the flash, that's still coming.

Reply to
trader4

That is only true for new sellers on Ebay. After you have a few months of sales, some number of completed transactions, then the money is immediately available. This vendor has 92% feedback, so it's possible that they are still on the restriction, but the vast majority of vendors running stores like this get the money instantly. It doesn't matter to the buyer anyway, the same Ebay rules and protections still apply.

Maybe, but you'd think there would be much better scams to run. This vendor only has 43 feedbacks over a year. You're not going to make much money off that. And once enough people complain of fraud, Ebay boots you and you have to start all over. Which means getting verified for a new account again at Ebay, which I'm sure you can figure out how to work around, but it's not trivial, you would need a new address, they do some identity checking to open a seller account. From what I see, this is the first flash produce that vendor is selling. It's possible they just don't know what they are doing too, but getting the size right isn't hard.

Reply to
trader4

:

for dollars instead. They could just sell a few and disappear. i just fi nd it funny how they explain the chip upgrading.

ed. They are counting on most people to not figure out they are scammed in time. How many people will know to test the devices with a program that c hecks for real capacity? You can do your own test, but it would require wr iting a lot of large files to fill up the drive, then verifying that they a ll have the correct contents.

Capacity isn't the only issue. Would you pay as much for a Sandisk flash product as you would for a no-name one? How about it craps out after a year with your data on it? I recently was looking for an SD card to add memory to my cell phone. I was looking on Ebay, which I dread for a produc t like that, because of exactly the problem you encountered. Ebay is loaded with fakes, including good ones. For a real fraud, it's more profitable to make something that actually works, probably at a lower speed, but claim that it's made by Sandisk or other known manufacturer, when it's not. After looking a bit on Ebay, I googled and found a 64GB Sandisk card at Newegg for $12, including shipping. On Ebay, it was about the same price for one that *might* be a real Sandisk.

Reply to
trader4

t don't go below, then the ones that do go below are far below.

I'm not offering a mathematical proof. I'm telling you the MO of most rip off artists. I test every flash device I buy and I've yet to find a rip of f that charged a typical price while every one I've bought below that price was a rip off.

few that are below $10 with none or few in between. Every one of the low p rice devices are much smaller Flash with a "fix" to make them look like the larger device they are being sold as.

Perhaps, but it's a lot easier to make some real bucks on ripping off the s ize.

vice does not have the memory claimed. At one point I was a bit ticked abo ut this and I would buy from several of these vendors at a time, test the d evices, then file a claim with eBay. None of the vendors fight it although they do sometimes play dumb and ask you to accept a partial refund since t hey were also victims of the "dishonest factories". lol

need to file within the indicted period, 2 months I believe.

1) Don't buy those items.

2) It doesn't seem to matter.

Ebay has two powerful points in the buyer's advantage. The buyer has the p ower of ruining seller's reputations with the feedback rating and eBay trea ts sellers much, much better when they maintain a good seller rating. Ther e is a lot of money at stake for the large sellers, so they won't ruin thei r rating for a few dollars. I've had vendors tell me to keep stuff I've pa id $50 for.

That reminds me, the other warning sign on eBay is sellers with poor rating s ( If the vendors want the item back they have to pay for the shipping too . They won't do that.

More BS. Very few sellers do that and it doesn't matter. You have them by the short curlies. I've returned a lot of stuff and I've only been reject ed by eBay when I miss deadlines. The terms just don't matter. The final method of getting your money back is to use the credit card. I've never ha d them refuse me.

Getting reimbursed for these rip off flash drives is never a problem.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Another thing I had happen on Ebay was where they send you totally different low value useless merchandise and then claim "that's what you ordered". Hence, I always keep screen shots of the ad and order as proof and always got my money back.

[...]

Not in case of obvious fraud. Ebay is pretty good then. In one case they even suspended the account of a seller afterwards.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

:

for dollars instead. They could just sell a few and disappear. i just fi nd it funny how they explain the chip upgrading.

ed.

ly

,

time.

dor

ff

These guys don't run for long. They aren't in this for a long haul... at l east not with any one seller name. They create an account, sell a few ripo ffs over a handful of months, then when their ratings get too poor to actua lly sell anything, or maybe eBay cuts them off, they start a new account.

I have looked and I don't even see a way to contact eBay about anything tha t isn't automated. So how would you report fraud? There's no listing for "return item because of fraud". If there were, I would report a Maryland w ire vendor who is selling mislabeled wire. I might report him to the state anyway. I'm pretty sure the level of his fraud is actually a crime in the US.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Return policy only applies when the buyer wants to return an item that there is nothing wrong with. Say, if you change your mind.

If the item is not as described, the seller cannot run away from his responsibilities. Selling fake thumb drives is fraud.

What will generally happen, though, is that the seller will continue to sell the fake items. Even after I filled out a "report fake item" form, the seller was allowed to continue selling the fake items.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Thanks. I've seen that and it might have been a likely culprit. This time, the problem was me. I assumed that all my working USB HD drives were USB 3.0 as indicated by the blue plastic insert in the USB connector. That was true for all my working target drives, but I didn't bother to check my archive source drives, which are older and generally USB 2.0 drives. This was my source drive: The current models are all USB 3.0 or ethernet. When the 2TB copy job finished (after 30 hrs), I was able to inspect the source drives to determine the problem. Sorry for the confusion.

Now to reorganize the tangle of directories, fix some bad transcoding, purge duplicates, clean up the titles, create thumbnails, add some cover art, rebuild the Plex library index, etc.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

There's another important feature that is worth looking for. Does it have wear leveling. All SSD drives have some manner of wear leveling, probably static. If they didn't, the drives wouldn't last through the warranty period. If a USB flash drive had wear leveling, it would likely be the cheaper dynamic flavor:

While flash drives and SD cards are normally not as heavily as SSD drives, bad cells or blocks are still a potential problem. I ran into that after killing four cheap (probably counterfeit) 8GB SD cards, which apparently didn't have wear leveling, in a Raspberry Pi. I've also killed a few commodity USB flash drives that I used as an NAS in a wireless routers.

The problem is finding a USB flash drive that really does wear leveling: More:

For the cheap eBay USB flash drives, one would need to know the controller chip used and find a data sheet. Then determine if the feature is actually enabled. I have not found a diagnostic or test program that will determine if a flash drive has wear leveling, or if it does, how many spare cells or blocks were allocated. So far, the only way to know is to buy two identical USB flash drives, exercise one drive to death to make sure it will survive, and then use the other drive.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Instead of stalking me directly, this retarded putz resorts to stalking by proxy. How quaint.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I agree. But someone made a claim that you can always return anything on Ebay. There are many listings that state no returns. There are ways you can probably get around that anyway, by shystering, lying, saying that it's not as described, etc. But I think Ebay tracks how many disputes you have, etc, and you'd hope that if shysters pull that, they would get flagged after a certain number. But maybe not, because Ebay does highly favor buyers over sellers. One terrible thing they did was change the feedback so that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers. That just isn't right.

Not surprised. I would bet that a large percentage of flash sold on Ebay is fake in one way or another, eg claiming it's Sandisk when it's a counterfeit. But there are also people like the OP, who don't seem to care. That seller had all the warning signs. A product that can't exist, terrible feedback, 92%, only 43 feedbacks in a year and many of those indicating that the game cards they sold were not genuine.

Reply to
trader4

Why is reporting something as "Not as described" "shystering" or lying when that is the truth?

They changed the feedback because the sellers had the leverage by not selli ng to anyone without a minimum amount of positive feedback and they would n ot give you feedback until you left them positive feedback. Essentially th e sellers had all the power. After a couple of problem transactions (inclu ding eBay lying about an attempt to report fraudulent transactions where eB ay had no interest in contacting the police) I quit using them. I was not alone and eBay realized supporting the sellers in this manner was not as pr ofitable as making the sellers be honest.

Yes, if you wanted to be dishonest the system is now weighted to a dishones t buyer. But so are credit cards. I've never had a dispute turned down.

So this seller should be allowed to be a scammer just because it is obvious to many? It's pretty clear there are some that don't know the basic unwri tten rules of using eBay without being scammed. Why should the scammers be allowed to profit from them?

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

:

en that is the truth?

It's not when it's true. What I was talking about was someone said you can always return something on Ebay. Some sales are no returns. If it arrives and you decide you don't really need it, don't want it, paid too much, you can try to shyster to return it. As a seller on Ebay, I've had it happen to me.

ling to anyone without a minimum amount of positive feedback and they would not give you feedback until you left them positive feedback.

BS. Feedback extortion was always against Ebay rules. And if one seller won't give you feedback, the vast majority will. Even what you just said makes no sense. So, sellers want you to leave positive feedback first. Do you have a problem with the majority of your sales? WTF? You'd get plenty of positive feedback by receiving the item, then leaving positive feedback for the seller. Are you a scammer?

A policy of the seller not giving positive feedback until the buyer had done so is very reasonable and logical. The transaction isn't complete until the buyer indicates that they are satisfied. Why would a seller want to give positive feedback when they don't know if you're going to make a BS claim about an item not as described, defective, or similar lie to get out of the deal? A seller doesn't know what's coming next, until the buyer indicates they are satisfied. As a seller on Ebay, I won't leave positive feedback until either I get positive feedback or the return period has passed. And I think that's being generous. If they won't leave me positive feedback, I probably shouldn't leave them any either.

Essentially the sellers had all the power.

BS. It was even.

After a couple of problem transactions (including eBay lying about an atte mpt to report fraudulent transactions where eBay had no interest in contact ing the police) I quit using them. I was not alone and eBay realized suppo rting the sellers in this manner was not as profitable as making the seller s be honest.

Totally different issue and irrelevant to feedback.

est buyer. But so are credit cards. I've never had a dispute turned down.

Irrelevant to feedback fairness.

us to many? It's pretty clear there are some that don't know the basic unw ritten rules of using eBay without being scammed. Why should the scammers be allowed to profit from them?

Anything else you'd like to make up, that I never said or implied?

Reply to
trader4

e:

te:

hat

ays

ive

when that is the truth?

elling to anyone without a minimum amount of positive feedback and they wou ld not give you feedback until you left them positive feedback.

le

"

ious to many? It's pretty clear there are some that don't know the basic u nwritten rules of using eBay without being scammed. Why should the scammer s be allowed to profit from them?

Should have added, assuming what you claim was true, that sellers would not leave feedback for buyers until the buyer left feedback for them, so? What"s so unfair about that? Neither the buyer nor the seller would get an y positive feedback. Both lose. And this was not going on anyway. I was on Ebay for more than a decade before they changed the rules and I got plenty of positive feedback from sellers. I never once had one try to extort me, saying I had to leave feedback first.

Reply to
trader4

e:

te:

hat

ays

ive

when that is the truth?

Ok, I suppose that is valid, but I wan't talking about returning things wit h no reason. I simply was pointing out that "no returns" doesn't mean you can't return something that isn't what you ordered or defective is otherwis e inappropriate.

elling to anyone without a minimum amount of positive feedback and they wou ld not give you feedback until you left them positive feedback.

Ok, if you are going to call me a liar there is no point in discussing anyt hing. I know for a fact that nearly every established vendor had the polic y of "we will respond to your positive feedback with our positive feedback on you" when I started shopping on eBay. If a buyer had much negative feed back or even a lack of positive feedback they wouldn't sell to you.

I think you must be too new to eBay to know about this.

le

Lol! That is exactly the extortion that used to prevent buyers from leavin g negative feedback when the seller deserved it and is the reason for the c urrent system where the seller has much less power vis-a-vis feedback.

It no longer matters because seller feedback is unimportant. No one refuse s to sell to buyers without feedback or too much negative feedback.

I did have one seller who refused to work with me on reshipping a device wh en he sent the order signature required without telling me. I was not able to pick up the shipment at the post office in time and it was returned. B ecause of the long shipping times and the return time, etc. I missed the eB ay window of dispute. I think I also missed the window on the credit card. Even if he kept the unit I was due a refund of the purchase minus the shi pping. He simply refused to discuss it with me any longer. So I did use t he "shyster" technique to get another unit shipped on a new account and end ed up getting a refund for that one and didn't feel at all bad about it.

Clearly you just can't read what I wrote. It was explained clearly enough for a 12 year old to understand.

tempt to report fraudulent transactions where eBay had no interest in conta cting the police) I quit using them. I was not alone and eBay realized sup porting the sellers in this manner was not as profitable as making the sell ers be honest.

The fraud was a direct result of eBay's feedback policy and users not being able to use feedback to blacklist the bad sellers.

onest buyer. But so are credit cards. I've never had a dispute turned dow n.

Ok, I guess you have some issues understanding how it all works together.

"

ious to many? It's pretty clear there are some that don't know the basic u nwritten rules of using eBay without being scammed. Why should the scammer s be allowed to profit from them?

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

:

ote:

rote:

that

his

ing

ways

ng

use

ative

g when that is the truth?

selling to anyone without a minimum amount of positive feedback and they w ould not give you feedback until you left them positive feedback.

er

able

that

ot

er

attempt to report fraudulent transactions where eBay had no interest in con tacting the police) I quit using them. I was not alone and eBay realized s upporting the sellers in this manner was not as profitable as making the se llers be honest.

shonest buyer. But so are credit cards. I've never had a dispute turned d own.

nue

em"

't

at

bvious to many? It's pretty clear there are some that don't know the basic unwritten rules of using eBay without being scammed. Why should the scamm ers be allowed to profit from them?

ot

any

,

You clearly don't understand what I am saying or you simply were not around at the time.

A new eBay buyer could not buy from most sellers since they wanted to sell to "proven" buyers with significant positive feedback. I think 10 transact ions was the magic number. So you have to bribe crappy sellers to leave yo u positive feedback and could never afford to leave anyone negative feedbac k because they would then leave you negative feedback which would blacklist you.

Obviously you weren't around then and so don't know about this. But that i s no reason to be in denial.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

te:

:

em that

m his

thing

re ways

ying

,

cause

hey

egative

ing when that is the truth?

ou

it

too

ot selling to anyone without a minimum amount of positive feedback and they would not give you feedback until you left them positive feedback.

ller

onable

s that

not

ller

k,

n attempt to report fraudulent transactions where eBay had no interest in c ontacting the police) I quit using them. I was not alone and eBay realized supporting the sellers in this manner was not as profitable as making the sellers be honest.

dishonest buyer. But so are credit cards. I've never had a dispute turned down.

tinue

item"

.

on

on't

that

obvious to many? It's pretty clear there are some that don't know the bas ic unwritten rules of using eBay without being scammed. Why should the sca mmers be allowed to profit from them?

not

t any

on

nty

me,

nd at the time.

I understand what you are claiming, it's just that it ain't so.

l to "proven" buyers with significant positive feedback. I think 10 transa ctions was the magic number.

Nonsense. I've been on Ebay for ~ 20 years, never had that problem. I never had a seller refuse to sell to me because I didn't have feedback either. It makes no sense. If you buy a product from Amazon or some online retailer, that you never bought from before, that has no history with you, what do they do? Reject the order? No, they sell it and ship it.

And they only changed the feedback rules way later maybe ten plus years in, not in the early years. It's totally unfair. Buyers can leave negative feedback, but seller's cannot. Totally unfair, as a seller you can't see who's a crappy buyer.

uld never afford to leave anyone negative feedback because they would then leave you negative feedback which would blacklist you.

You getting negative feedback no more blacklists you than you giving negative feedback to a seller blacklists them. If both can leave positive and negative feedback, it's even, it's public info that all can look at to make their decisions.

If all it takes is ten positive feedbacks, how many crappy sellers do you have to go through to get ten positive feedbacks? In twenty years and hundreds of transactions, I've encountered maybe 3 crappy sellers. I racked up ten buys, in no time, with no problems and got positive feedbac k. From the start, with 0 feedback, I never had anyone refuse to sell to me.

is no reason to be in denial.

No denial, just the facts. What you are claiming makes no sense. Can't get ten positive feedbacks because of extortion from crappy sellers? Nonsense.

Reply to
trader4