2A wide amplifer for XR2206 sig. gen.

I am building a workbench function generator from an XR2206 chip.

Would anyone here have a tested circuit for an amplifer that I can fit that can provide _DC_ to 2MHz at 2A output?

Push/pull running off 12VDC single rail would be ideal.

Best regards,

James Palmer

Reply to
James Palmer

It will be difficult to get AC output down to 0Hz with a single rail power supply. The only way I can think of off the top of my head is to incorporate a polarity inverting converter to get a dual-rail +/- supply inside the unit anyway.

If you don't mind dc offset at the output for the triangle and sinusoidal waveforms or if you want only rectangular pulses, then it would be possible to use a single rail PS.

Reply to
pimpom

Float the supply and use a couple of power devices to split it in half.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

I like the power opamp from TI. OPA544. It won't make your 2 MHz. spec though.

Buy two of them and use one to define ground as Phil H. suggests.

If 2MHz is important you'll have to roll your own output stage.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

exactly, a Virtual ground :)

Reply to
Jamie

What are you trying to drive? 2 amps from a 12v single rail supply is a fairly low impedance load.

There are plenty of high current buffers and power op amps out there -- but they want split supplies. And heat sinks.

Reply to
artie

What do you mean by DC ? A stable DC output at +6 V ?

Theoretically (without Vbe losses), you would get 4 Vrms from a +12 V supply, at 2 Arms the load would appear to be 2 ohms. The Exar chip output impedance is 600 ohms, so the buffer stage would have to have a current gain of much more than 300.

Clearly inpossible for a simple complementary pair emitter follower stage at 2 MHz. A Darlington configuration might be usable with a smaller voltage swing due to the Vbe losses.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen