2.4Ghz Oscillator

Yep. There are many ways to break a system. You can starve it for data, overload it, or choke it garbage. 800 watts or overload will work because the dynamic range of the typical WiFi receiver is fairly small (about 50dB) allowing any strong signal to cause the front end to rectify the RF and shut it down. This is called "blocking". However, such brute force methods are not considered very elegant and should be avoided if possible.

I forgot to mention that using an ESP8266 or Raspberry Pi is not really jamming. Instead, it convinces the WiFi clients and router to deauthenticate and disconnect, which is really a DoS (denial of service) attack. Either way, it will interrupt or block WiFi communications thus achieving the same desired effect:

Welcome to the dark side.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

IME it blocks the target receiver by turning it to charcoal.

heh, probably true

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not charcoal. In order to produce charcoal, one heats wood to remove water and volatiles in the absense of oxygen. That would be difficult to do outside of an enclosed air tight stove, oven, shed, or mound.

Most definately true. At the short range needed to be effective, 800 watts at 2.4GHz into presumably a 0dBi isotropic radiator is well above the FCC RF safety guidelines. Anything that will vaporize silicon can probably do the same to brain cells.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I guess one of these jammers would pretty much take one of the Simply Safe alarm systems right out. I will pass one one of these alarm systems then. I see the jammers run about 260 bux or so, just cost of business for burglars.

Reply to
Ingvald44

I've done it, it works. If you want to try it, stick some food in a microwave oven on full for 30 minutes. Do it somewhere a fire would not cause danger.

Yes, technically it's charelectronics, charplastic, charfood etc. Impure carbon anyway.

Orders of magnitude above any sane guidelines. Do you need guidelines to tell you to not incinerate things in a pile of sparks?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've already done it. About 15+ minutes for a yam, instead of 5 minutes at 1300 watts: The yam was glowing red on the inside and belching smog from every hole. It coated the inside of the microwave oven with a permanent layer of orange something. The oven now looks disgusting, but works normally after I tore it apart and cleaned the electronics. However, the burned smell lingered for several weeks.

Yep. I'm not sure what to call it. I threw it outside while it was still burning. Even the dogs and the local critters wouldn't eat it. Anyway, it's not charcoal.

It won't produce sparks unless I throw in some steel wool. However, you don't really need a microwave oven to burn steel wool:

Guidelines are probably a good idea, so that I know what to ignore.

Having made all the basic mistakes, I believe that I have a fair understanding of how RF works. However, that isn't quite universal as there are plans for various microwave oven guns all over the internet: I suppose any of these will be adequate for interfering with a smartphone wireless internet connection by destroying every semiconductor junction within range.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

A mobile phone in a nuke produces plenty of sparks. And charphone.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nope. There isn't enough RF voltage across the air gap to produce a visible spark. The steel wool in the microwave oven works because steel is a mediocre RF conductor. The RF causes the steel to heat up sufficiently to melt the ends of the wires. The produces a cloud of iron ions sufficient to propagate the heating to adjacent strands. The initial burning may look like a spark, but it's not. I could probably calculate what it takes to produce a visible spark, but I'm late for lunch. Figure on a breakdown voltage in dry air of about 3 million volts per meter. This might help:

"How strong is the electrical field inside a microwave oven?"

Destroying a phone with a microwave oven is too obvious, not very imaginative, and much too easy. My Samsung S6 has a wireless charging feature, which is depressingly slow at charging the battery. I'm wondering if putting it on an induction cooker or stove might speed things up. Try it and let me know what happens (or what remains after the test).

Learn by Destroying(tm).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 17:33:59 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: [snip]

This is why I suggested a VCO for the job. The control voltage could be a sine wave that causes the oscillator's output to wander over the applicable frequency range and maybe a bit of modulation of that same sine wave just to "thicken" the signal up a bit.

[snip loads of links]

Thanks, Jeff. Loads of info there in those links. I am going to have fun doing this! :-D

Cursitor Doom

Actually, a clean _unlocked_ carrier exactly on the (suppressed) nominal carrier frequency of the PM of a DSSS system is the most efficient way to kill it. The problem is only to find the frequency. It dwarfes whatever the carrier recovery tries to average out of the noise.

See Dixon, Spread Spectrum Systems. Good book.

Cheers, Gerhard

(who tried to build a squaring loop with excessive filtering a long time ago; that completely destroyed the performance. When someone says he has experience, that usually means bad experience :-) )

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Squaring loops led to a lot of that sort of thing. Costas loops were easier to get working.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm not going to stick your or my phone in a microwave to find out. I've stuck enough metal things in to know that nearby conductors result in sparks.

I didn't get the opportunity to nuke a pcb tonight.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr