12V regulator

Thanks. As I see it, you can always specify an antiparallel diode to protect an LED from reverse voltage, and know that it will do that. If it doesn't, there has to be a defect somewhere.

But as I see it, a series diode can also give that reverse polarity protection, provided you consider the whole circuit. I don't know about "guarantee", but if the 1N4004 datasheet is to be believed, the maximum reverse voltage in this circuit will be about half a volt - less than a diode drop - and that's at Tj 100C. If the ambient raises the diode to 100C, there well may be a problem that should be solved elsewhere. The ~ 12 mA forward through the diode is certainly not the culprit that raises it to

100C.

The use of an antiparallel diode can only exacerbate a heat problem as it protects the LED - and likely with a higher reverse voltage! (I'm gonna have to measure the Vf across a

1N4004 at about 12 mA - the datasheet does not show it below 100 mA.)

Maybe it's a case of this: you can always throw a diode across the LED antiparallel to provide reverse polarity protection, but if you use a series diode, you must look at the datasheet and compute the results to be sure it will provide that protection. I dunno.

I did not top post. Go read it again.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I took the easy way out and bought new switches. I appreciate all the input everyone gave me on this, but the original switch was actually pretty cheap, it just looked "cool", so I put a proper switch in. Not quite as pretty, but so be it. I do find it slightly funny that I was so worried about damage to the switch circuit, but the unit it's going on is a tesla coil. The neon transformer, although well choked, is under way more stress than they originally intended. I'm sure my primary capacitor is equally stressed. At least now I have a remote switch that will likely live much longer than the unit itself.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Actually just use store bought LED illuminated switches.

Reply to
JosephKK