128 bit cpu's the sooner, the better.

You said you needed a 64 bit machine.

You didn't understand the comment about how a 32 bit machine could be as fast or faster.

No you don't. You need speed. A very fast 32 machine would do fine. An extremely fast 8 bit machine would also work. You seem not to really understand the performance issues. The highest speed is more likely to be a very long instruction word processor not one with the widest data bus.

There is more setup time in doing that but yes you could optimize them. On the other hand, if exteme speed was the goal, The cache hardware of a 32 bit machine could be optimized to do the bulk of it much faster than the 128 CPU could.

Actually in high performance code they are very rarely used.

Have you every tried to look to see what percentage of the CPU time of a well designed program goes to moving strings around? I have written quite a bit of code in Borland Pascal. Some of this code I sold as a finished product. The only cases, that I can think of, where a single operation type set the speed did not involve the speed of string operations.

If you are really after high speed math operations a DSP is the way to go. If you are after very fast integer and string operations a very long instruction word RISC machine is usually the best. If the operations can be paralleled an array processor or multiple CPUs is the way to go.

One of the most common tasks that take a lot of time is the FFT. A DSP processor very commonly has special instructions that make this go much faster than a alrger ALU could allow.

Reply to
MooseFET

Well it's kinda strange.

I just did some benchmarking with Free Pascal Cross Compiler Beta 2.1.4 and Visual Studio 2008 compiler.

(I posted a new thread in comp.arch as well)

It seems 64 bit integers twice as slow as 64 bit doubles.

Even Delphi's 64 bit simulated integers are almost as fast as true 64 bit integers ? HUH ?!?!?

Maybe the benchmark program is too simplistic... ???

Maybe a more complicated example might show differences ???

Or maybe AMD's X64 instruction set is scam ???

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

If you can keep both the integer side and the floating side working at full speed, you are very likely to get improved performance over just one or the other side working.

That may only be the case in the specific test you did.

This is likely the case. You need a wide mix of operations to judge it fairly.

This is very unlikely.

Reply to
MooseFET

If you had any real brains, you could write your own benchmarks and remove all doubt.

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

If you had any real brains, you wouldn't be dimbulb.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Reply to

Fuck off, you retarded SwampTard.

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

int div simply slower then float div for x2 processor.

Says so in optimization guide.

Positive news: benchmark program is awesome ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Positive news would be if you would take your punk pussy ass somewhere else.

Your horseshit is off-topic in a lot of the groups you post into.

That is aside from the fact that it is also meaningless TRIPE!

Reply to
SoothSayer

See what I mean? No signs of intelligence in anything you post.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mean? You do not "mean" anything, you retarded f*ck.

Your soul purpose on this planet is that of being the butt of any joke that comes down the pike, you total piece of shit.

Oh yeah... That and being in pain in various parts of your "served like the asswipe you are" body.

Who was that officer you berated that day? Oh yeah... that's right. You forgot your oath five seconds after you took it.

We all knew that you were a piece of shit though.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt