1200 volt clearance

Sometimes I have a mohawk up there but on the helmet.

Nice. I used to also ski in regular jeans. Unfortunately that wears them out real fast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The CVS ski pants aren't bad, and cost about 10% of the ski-store ones. I figure they are all made in the same Chinese factories.

lunatic fringe electronics

There's a technical solution for that, called - unsurprisingly - mudguards.

Lycra-wearing cyclists abjure them for some obscure reason.

I saw a really neat electric bike in a up-market bike shop in Nijmegen in July, and asked why it didn't have mudguards (since it was only going to appeal to my age-group anyway) and the salesman said that mudguards wouldn't have fitted the image.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It appears that you've never done any serious mountain biking. I've seen the aftermath of crash where a mudguard slit through a large chunk of leg muscle.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The problem on dirt bikes (the kind with engines) is that fenders tend to load up with mud. They have to be small and way up away from the tires, hardly worth the effort.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Same on mountain bikes. One trip to Placerville in December got me hardcore stuck several times. Even after shifting to lowest gear I could not turn the rear wheel via the pedals. Had to look for a large dry twig and poke all the mud and crushed rock out from between seat tube and wheel. I got to Placerville with a half hour delay. With fenders I would have never arrived.

There is only a bush trail to get there so out here many of us have to use mountain bikes even for "normal" trips. For me it's fun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We usually drive hard to get to Truckee - just under 3 hours is our record - but this summer I want to make some slow trips and visit things along the way. Placerville, Dutch Flat, Grass Valley, maybe some rivers and dams and waterfalls.

Ikedas for a pie, of course.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We are only about 12mi before Placerville, 2mi from the Cameron Park Drive exit. You are welcome to swing by, assuming you and your wife won't be afraid of Labradors. Or we could meet somewhere.

This place is very good:

Jack Russell Brewery is opening an additional place at the former Carrows Diner which is smack dab in old town Placerville. Not sure when they'll be done. I think they were shooting for this January but you know how it often goes.

What is definitely worth a stroll is the old Placerville Hardware Store. I knew the old owner Frank until he passed away at 102. Now run by grandson and wife:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Let's do that. I want to see more of gold country.

Dingus McGees (or at least the name) has been revived in Colfax. I guess I should check that out, for old times sake. We had a heap of fun at the original.

Looks cool. I've driven through Placerville, but didn't stop.

We love Mountain Hardware in Truckee. Those small-town hardware stores have everything.

Have you been here?

We dropped in when he was still setting up, so the BBQ wasn't ready.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The one in Placerville has stuff that seems to date back to the 40's and

50's and they often charge whatever price was on there. Once I bought a serious hinge that they found way back in their attic. "That'll be 37 cents, please" ... "WHAT?"

Not yet. But we usually don't stray far from home. Partly because of the dogs which are former guide dogs and thus not used to being alone. But we also have so much of the good old Wild West right here.

We don't like ribs at most places because the basting is way too sweet. So my wife marinates them and we cook them over the Weber. Sometimes using almond wood instead of charcoal.