110V timer

I bought a 110v rotary timer and wired it to an outlet. Now I can turn the dial and it will turn off the outlet in 60 minutes.

The timer cost $21, that seems pretty high. I have seen cheap timer IC, but they take low voltage. Does anyone know where I could buy the necesarry parts to do the same thing for a lot less. I need to make quite a few of these.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Just AC off in 60 minutes...??

I'll guess.. Triac + RC cct..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

that price is high, I bet you can get 24 hour outlet timers for automatic start/stop of appliances for less than $5, (I've seen them for NZ$8) possibly the easiest way to build your 60 minute timers may be to grab a bunch of those (as they already have the switch etc... in them) and modify them.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

Such timers are often available surplus at places like

or AllElectronics. They are also found in older and cheaper microwave ovens, so you could go to a dump and scrounge a bunch for free.

If you are building them for your own use, you can get by with a solid state relay, driven by a simple circuit (a PIC would be my choice), but you can do it with a 555 timer, maybe with a large RC, but even better with a counter. You can use a wallwort for power.

If you intend to sell them, you probably will need to build them per UL standards and have them tested.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

"Rob" wrote in news:4658e6c9$0$3183$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

You will need to get them approved, likely, depending on your situation.

Reply to
Gary Tait