1 Hz square wave generatorusing 555

Hi. I'm trying to make a 1 Hz square wave generator using 555 in astable mode, which i'd give to a digital clock.The values i'm using are as follows: C = 1 uF, R1 = 3K3 and R2 = 5K6. Would like to know if this would work. Also your suggestions on any alternative are welcome. Thnx in advance.

Reply to
shethpratik

[snip]

No ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Do you mean a clock to keep time? If so, the 555 will be nowhere near stable enough.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

If your clock is a kitchen timer intended to be used for hard boiled eggs only, yes.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

At that frequency they're likely going end up pretty damn soft-boiled.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Posting a basic question like this in sci.electronics.basics would get you more respect. I don't have the timing formula for the 555 in astable in front of me but I think you're actually getting about 100 Hz with those values. Either change the cap to 100 uF, or keep the cap and multiply each resistor by 100. Then hook up a led or tiny light bulb so you can visually check the output of the 555 and count it off against a clock or stopwatch. And as others have pointed out, an RC oscillator like the 555 wouldn't make a stable, accurate clock for any application demanding more accuracy than timing eggs.

Reply to
kell

It looks like you need a 100 uF cap? I dunno, I suck at teh maths. There are bunches of javascript 555 calculators out there, google around for one. If you are in fact using this as a time-of-day clock, as you may have gathered from other replies, you will have to deal with drift, but if you're tricky you can still get it to work. If you really want accuracy, you might be better off dividing a crystal oscillator or deriving your clock from the AC power.

If you really really want to use a 555, ZiLOG makes a 555 replacement IC that's all crystal- and microcontroller-based, and will keep accurate time in a clock.

Reply to
stickyfox

--
You can\'t get a square wave out of a 555 that way, and your values
are wrong for 1Hz.

Use a CD4060 and a 32768Hz crystal and you'll get closer. If you add one more flip-flop, you'd get very close. I suggest a second CD4060 and the observation that 7+8=15.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

a good frequency counter 1Hz - 50 MHz is in

mires

"mires" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

3 messages I open, 3 spams. A good frequency for your spam is 0 here.
--
Thanks,
Fred.