1 eV

Wikipedia says, "When used as a unit of energy, the numerical value of 1 eV in joules (symbol J) is equivalent to the numerical value of the charge of an electron in coulombs (symbol C)."

But a coulomb is not a unit of energy so how is that equivalent?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The numerical values are the same. 1 eV / (1 J) = e / (1 C). ? David

Reply to
David Nadlinger

Forget about it Tom, it's Wikipedia.

Have you never found errors in Wikipedia? I checked a reference once and found the Wikipedia text that used the reference said EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what the reference said!!!

There is a reason why you can't use a Wikipedia article as a reference for another Wikipedia article.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

David Nadlinger wrote in news:r4tgfd$lkc$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ox.ac.uk:

Looks like you Leyden-ed it all out for him. :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

How big is the volume that one mole of wikipedia articles takes up?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

How many angels at the head of a pin?????

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Sjouke Burry wrote in news:5e72641a$0$1601$ snipped-for-privacy@textnews.kpn.nl:

Depends on their charge.

Not even two if both positive or both negative. Exactly two if both opposite.

Cannot be zero charge.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

A coulomb is an unit of charge, charge * voltage = energy. The V in an eV is a volt.

--

-TV
Reply to

Thanks. Now I get what they meant to say, but what they said is not equivalent grammatically.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

So eV is a product of units. I hadn't realized (or remembered) that, but it's consistent with 1C*1V=1J

Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Depends on how deep the mole has dug.

Reply to
Robert Baer

A product unit is not unheard of, think about 1 Nm for torque and 1 VA for reactive power.

It is 1.602e-19 J, related to other weird particle units, like a barn (1e-28 m2).

--

-TV
Reply to

A barn was defined on a whim. The eV wasn't.

Anyway, most units are combinations of several of the seven base units. Even the volt is in fact such a combination, sufficiently important to get its own name.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman