What is a(n) XC78170P 16-pin DIP

I have a new-in-box PS-2 recharger for Rayovac's discontinued Renewal Alkaline Batteries and would like to (try to) modify it to charge other batteries. Simplicity itself inside: small two-voltage DC power supply and two PC boards (4993-22-0103 REV E made by AVEX Electronics in 199; a schematic would be VERY handy!) with two transistors and associated resistors, etc., per charging station PLUS ONE XC78170P 16-pin DIP per four stations. A Google search shows that I can BUY the IC, but I can't learn WHAT it is.

(I hope it is a battery-charger controller which can be programmed for different battery types.) Someone please point me to a spec sheet for the XC78170P, maybe even one with application notes.

Reply to
Myron A. Calhoun