Polystyrene capacitors

I'm reading this article from 1976 on building a "pong" video game :

The parts list calls for some "polystyrene" caps. I can't seem to find such a thing on Jameco, etc. I read on one site that these are not really used much anymore. What type of capacitor can be used in its place?

Thanks, Leor

Reply to
nobody101

Those were (and still are, I think) used for high stability for tuned radio circuits. If the circuit timing isn't critical enough to justify a crystal oscillator, you'd probably get by with metallized polyester capacitors, or even epoxy encapsulated ceramic.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Depending on the application, possibly almost anything. I'll bet the author simply had some in his parts bin and used them. They wre pretty popular back then.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Somewhere, I remember reading that the tempco of polystyrene caps complements that of pot-cores.

Reply to
ian field

That wouldn't surprise me one bit since you often used to find both in things like telecoms filters.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

OK, thanks.

such

be

Reply to
nobody101

Probably any modern film cap. Look at the Panasonic ECHU series, for example.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to