Polarization of aluminum organic polymer capacitor.

I was reading

and I notice a "pointy hexazoid" in the outline drawing. Duh, which end is positive?

I am laying out a board with USB, and I was going to put a 120uF capacitor across the power near the connector, and the part in stock at Mouser, A700D127M006ATE0157222, caught my attention.

Why would I avoid / seek this technology? Any guess how long these might last in a device in a home / office environment?

Reply to
aubrey.mcintosh

There's a pic on page 4.

Should be pretty good, batter than aluminums but maybe not as good as tantalums long-term. But tants explode in power bypass applications, and these shouldn't.

I tested some 100u 16v United Chem-Con polymer caps. Leakage is very low, a few uA, up to about 2x rated voltage, where they suddenly fail shorted.

John