DIY 22uH Choke using Torroid Core?

If I have a junk box of smallish (1/2 inch dia say) torroid cores, of some unknown T-#, how many turns of wire should I guestimate for a >= 22 uH choke (for use with a MAX762 switching supply)?

I know you can't give a precise answer to that, with that information, but I just need a ballpark answer.

I simply need to exceed 22 uH for this junk-box application. I am guessing, that it is going to be somewhere in the ballpark of

30 to 50 turns.

Comments, besides suggesting that I order a choke?

The only other idea I had was perhaps paralleling that with some suitable cap and trying to find resonance with my grid dip meter. But that sounds too much like work. ;-)

Warren.

Reply to
Charmed Snark

Look at the pictures in the data sheets and see if they are good enough to estimate the number of turns?

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to

Hop on over to

and download their free ring-core calculator. Not much help if you don't know the material, though it does show color codes for iron powder.

Depends on what test equipment you've got handy; I'm guessing not an LCR meter. But with sine wave source, some resistors, and a DMM you should be able to get pretty close to the 3 dB-down point for an LR filter by adjusting the frequency or resistance, or both.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

has formulas for calculating inductance from turns, area, etc, near the bottom of the page.

Wild guess (I don't know the length of your core or it's K factor) is

42 turns.
Reply to
DJ Delorie

Rich Webb expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hey, that is perfect, thanks.

Between the dimension information and the colours, I think I have what I need.

Warren

No. A grid dip meter is a coil+meter unit brought close to a tuned circuit. By sweeping frequency, you can find where the "dip" occurs (hence resonance). If you know C and f, you can determine L. But the software approach above, is more to my liking as a starting point at least.

Ya, I should try that out and see how close I got.

Warren.

Reply to
Charmed Snark

Conceivably this may help. Identify the core and it'll calculate it for you.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Graham