Biggest RAM chips?

Dear s.e.c. I can't reliably find out what the state of the art in RAM-chips is. I vaguely remember the announcements of

1 GBit-chips in 2000, but lost track of it since then.

If you know the state of the art, please let me know, extra information whether the chip of size X is a commodity, speciality item or lab prototype is very welcome (Please don't start a flame war over this).

We still run on itsy-bitsy capacitors refreshed by transistor-logic, do we? (Wikipedia sez Nantero has nano-tube-RAM in the lab).

Kind regards, thanks Tin

--
Lisp kann nicht kratzen, denn Lisp ist fluessig
Reply to

Look at the biggest DIMM module you can buy, divide by the number of chips.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Uhm... am I supposed to guess around which word the quotes belong? Or something?

--
Lisp kann nicht kratzen, denn Lisp ist fluessig
Reply to
Tin Gherdanarra

Now that was helpfull...

/s

Mike Harrison skrev:

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Staffan_H=F6stm

Staffan Höstman wrote in news:45310cb0$0$8090$ snipped-for-privacy@news.fv.fi:

Actually, it was. Memory is increasing in size all the time, and it will arrive on the street in modules before many people have a chance of getting new chips any other way. You might see it announced in tech journals, but unless you're privy to the kind that are mainly distrubuted to science establishments and large firms, you'd pay more for a few months worth while watching for the next big announcement, than you would on the RAM module, possibly. In the end what matters is when they become commercially available, so Mike Harrison's suggestion is a good one.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Another (free) way to get news of things like new types and sizes of memory is to watch the forums/online shops of computer supplies for gamers, they're usually keen to know, and as they put serious money out early in the commercial life of a product, the industry has learned to release info this way, as it helps them.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

It is just about the best way of finding the 'state of the art'. The answer depends though on how fast you need the memory to be, and what technology you have in mind. Gigabit DDR3 memories have just started arriving. 2GByte chips exist in DDR2 from some manufacturers. Genuine 'static' memories stop at about 64Mbit. Graphic memories for video cards are available up to about 512Mbit, while psuedo static chips are about one generation behind (1GB max). In flash memories, 4GByte chips are now coming available in mass quantities (makes 32GB flash cards possible).

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett