Wow, TV's with no electronics!

This in todays herald-sun, a Wollongong prof of engineering says 50 years ago TV's had no electronics. LOL.

geoffjunkster

** Here is your prof (Sareth Perera) :

?id=10152&group=60

All his interest and experience is in Electrical Power Engineering.

It is very likely the Sri Lankan born prof has been misquoted by the female journo.

Nearly all 50 year old TV sets had iron core transformers and valve rectifiers in the PSUs - which are very resistant to damage from lightning strikes.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yup. I've been misquoted *every* time I've contributed to a journo. They seem to excel at it.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I think it's clear what he really meant (solid state), assuming he was accurately quoted.

Reply to
=?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?=

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:39:50 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

Back in those days we didn't need no electronics:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

its possible though not really practical,

Run a really really long continuous loop of film from studio - home to home, and project from it. Only needs a bulb and electric motor (or hand crank it if you want to be a greenie) - no electronics :). You could even have some &*^% like Conroy sitting outside the studio with scissors and sticky tape, just in case some anti Labor or non-PC stuff happened to come past :)

Think of the good side though, if you wanted to go to bed early and wanted to know how the soapie ended, just ring someone closer to the studio :)

bloody big long fibre optic running back to the studio - and much brighter studio lighting perhaps ?? look down the end of the fibre and watch everything - without electronics :)

Reply to
kreed