Why do we have cross-over cables.

It is an entirely different schema altogether. Wake up.

Reply to
AnimalMagic

situation.

logical

need

It's not really relevant anyway. Neither a token ring, now Ethernet's backoff approach, can work before it's been established which wires are which.

There may be a standard that describes the process of identifying the wires. Whether there is is what I asked.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

IIRC it was used in "War Games" (1983)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Not all modems provided electronic control of the "hook switch" (i forget the correct term) if you were lucky you had one that did.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Want to play a game?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

there's not such thing,

derive the timimngs from the mac address

Reply to
Jasen Betts

--
It never was.
Reply to

Helps if there's a standard that says how, which was my original question.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Typo. Should have been obvious.

Sometimes. Sometimes not.

If you know of a standard, then why not provide a reference?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

--
No, it wasn\'t.

Your original question was the subject of this thread, and when you were
given the answer you quickly dodged and changed the subject in order to
further your troll.

With as much information as you\'ve been presented with, by now it should
be clear to you why things are done the way are and why your
jibber-jabber is meaningless tripe.

I suggest that if you\'re still as ignorant as you seem to be you start
here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rs-232c&aq=0&oq=RS-232

and work your way up to more modern telecommunications hardware and
protocols.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
As should have been the reason why we have crossover cables.
Reply to

You seem to have missed the point of the OP's question. You are excused because you are of an age when an RS232 or Centronics interface was normal.

As other posters have pointed out it was cheaper to manufacture straight through cables and in those days there was a clear distinction the devices at each end of a cable. Pin n of one device could reasonably be defined as a receiver and Pin n of the "other" device could be defined as a transmitter. In the last thirty years that has changed and today it is preferable to treat all devices as peers.

The OP wanted to know why the distinction between devices existed rather than _always_ connecting them with a crossover cable. It was a perfectly reasonable question and she has been provided with sensible answers by those who managed to understand it.

Reply to
David Segall

I don't think it requires a "standard" to identify the wires. A NIC must be able to identify a valid packet so swapping two wires until it does so is not a demanding task now that a microprocessor is incorporated on every device.

Reply to
David Segall

Part of the issue was to make cable testing easier for low end techs, they are pin for pin.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yes. It is part of the IEEE 802.3 series. See:

.
Reply to
JosephKK

situation.

Add some conditions. There is an orderly passing sequence. Each time you get the microphone you may speak a small permitted say or not. When done speaking or if you have nothing to say you immediately pass the microphone.

.
Reply to
JosephKK

Wow, did you ever get that one wrong. See:

JosephKK

Snide answers to Sylvia's History question do not redound well to your status.

Reply to
JosephKK

--
Why is the manner in which I address Sylvia or the status of my "status"
any of your concern?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I was thinking that a standard would be required that specified the delays, or the means of calculation of the delays, to be used between trying different combinations, so as to avoid the situation where two NICs undermine each other's attempts to find a working combination.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else