The stuff people throw out

We had our annaul council clean-up. Anyway a lot of "exchanging" or "thanx for that" goes on. There are even professional junk collectors and auction-junkies who look for saleable items,usually furniture...but to the point. I noticed people this year are tossing a lot of TVs out, a trend since cheap conventional TVs have become available for under $150 in some cases for a circa 48cm set.

I struck it lucky,..one pile had a 48cm Sharp Linytron TV in a large cabinet (weighed a ton, despite being live chasiss) and a Sharp stereo VCR with aux inputs for mikes and a level led bar meter. Got the 'prizes' home and they both work.

OK the TV was sagging a bit in the colour department, but it has no other probs. I think what happened was the previous owner probably bought a UHF only set, and the VCR being VHF out only, was nigh-near useless.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Those are great aren't they... And those little skips they put in the street for people to dump stuff in sometimes are good too. Found a digital am/ fm tuner in one a few years back and the bloody thing worked.

Why chuck stuff like that out?

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

We are having that in our area this week too, one every 6 months. CRT Monitors and TVs are all the rage, literally every 2nd or 3rd house has a monitor or TV out the front. Big plamsa TV boxes are popular too, almost to the point that it's a status symbol to proudy display the box for your new TV out the front!

We had two people drive down our very private cul-de-sac (which normally gets zero traffic) canvassing the junk. Looks like they go street by street searching.

I tried to get a monitor last clean-up day, but by the time I went 100m down the road to turn around and come back, someone had already stopped and nabbed it!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yeah, would it not be nice if people left a live 240V extension cord draped on the fence just so you can "check out" the working and non-working appliances before dragging them off?

However on another note - we live in a throw away society. As has been affirmed here, a lot of what we throw away isn't broken - just out of date or a bit old. Don't you just love the idiots who leave those big boxes the plasma and LCD TVs come in? Almost as good as advertising to would be thieves - make sure there are at least 2 of you and bring a suitable vehicle to pick up the 50" HD Pioneer plasma we just got last week. And some people wonder why their homes get done over.......

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

some

other

UHF

draped

That'd take the surprise out of it...!

One guy knocked on my door to ask if he could nab the old 25mJ lpg heater I'd put out,..he wanted the igniter out of it. I actually went looking for the striker to give to him as I had removed it,..he'd gone tho and taken the heater anyway.

They take virtually anything,..old tires, rolls of above ground pool sheet metal rusted at the bottom etc

Jason

the

vehicle

people

Reply to
Jason James

"thanx

the

some

cabinet

aux

they

other

UHF

It's not the latest unit. Some people have to have the latest.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

"thanx

the

some

cabinet

aux

they

other

UHF

Handbrake turns come in handy..

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Problem is in my area guys go around a SMASH the monitors/tv's open, then smash the end off the tube to remove the (yoke?) coils for the copper. Leaves one hell of a mess.

Reply to
S Roby

I get a lot more working monitors donated than repairable computers for my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project, including a couple new monitors where people liked their old one better. The things that are not repairable are passed on to a local program where they teach people to solder.

--
Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida