Speakers - 6 ohm vs. 8 ohm?

I've ordered a plasma screen and noticed that the specs for the external stereo speakers are 8 watts @ 6 ohm.

I don't intend to connect it up to a home theatre system, just attach a couple of reasonable quality bookself speakers, which are 8 ohm.

What if any problems will this cause at normal listening levels?

Reply to
noone

wrote in

I've ordered a plasma screen and noticed that the specs for the external stereo speakers are 8 watts @ 6 ohm.

I don't intend to connect it up to a home theatre system, just attach a couple of reasonable quality bookself speakers, which are 8 ohm.

What if any problems will this cause at normal listening levels?

****** None!!!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

Except maybe less sound.

Reply to
Michael C

Reply to
noone

No it's not. Firstly 6 ohms is the minimum recommended load, so 8 ohm is just fine. (4 ohm may not be) Secondly the speaker impedance figure is just a *nominal* measurement which may, or may not, be the minimum impedance of the speaker. The maximum may be ten times as much, or more, depending on frequency.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

This comment is only valid if you have something else to compare it to.

Rod

Reply to
Rod

I did say maybe less sound and wouldn't the comparison be the standard speakers?

Reply to
Michael C

Not necessarily. The standard speakers may be less sensitive than the desired speakers, so even at 8 ohms nominal impedance the 8 ohm speakers could be louder than the

6 ohm nominal standard speakers.

Reply to
Rod