Solar project - consumption calculations.

Nor are they interested in a tossa like you being bashed philthy

see ya soon .

Reply to
atec 77

On 10 Dec 2006 02:26:30 -0800, and after reading the post titled " Solar project - consumption calculations.", "Timmah" ordered the talented chickens to cluck & peck the following:

Tim,

Cant really help you with the calcs for power requirements for your project, but we bought one of those farm security cameras a few months ago. The camera has a rechargeable ni-cd battery, which is supposed to last a few weeks, but also accepts 12v DC input(which both charges and powers the unit if connected). It has a PIR trigger, and will take a sequence of up to 5 images in a user-settable sequence. The IR source is supplied as a separate IR floodlight, which draws about 2A @ 12v DC. We bought the B&W version which works very well at night using the IR floodlight for a light-source. It will also take acceptable daytime pics. It also has a termination block which allows a relay to be activated, as well as a siren (if needed).

The unit is (I think) called farm-cam.

As a test of the equipment, we set it up to record a mystery animal that kept crapping on the back doorstep. It was rather amazing what we ended up recording! Possums, mice and other animals appearing at the step during the night.

I havent really set this one up for distance, but I expect you could get better resolution from a camera with a better lens than this one(this one is only a pinhole lens).

My only criticism of this unit is that all data is recorded direct onto an SD memory card. I would prefer something that can record the data remotely, so the images are retained, even if the camera is found and destroyed. We also have occasional times when it doesnt record an image properly to the SD card. It doesnt happen much, but is annoying when it does. I wonder about finding out if there are options to use the SD interface to link it to a wireless link, but that's for another day.

Personally, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on, and how useable the images are when you have it up and running.

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

Reply to
Rod Out Back

"Timmah" = Neo Nazi Child Killer

** What is your "club" being troubled by pal - marauding wombats maybe ???

Lemme tell ya a simple fact - the cops are not one bit interested in nabbing any (4 legged) wombats.

Blurry IR pics of *god knows who * will interest them no better.

Kindly re-think your mad assumptions - remote security video surveillance

  • in the BLOODY dark * is a total waste of time and money.

However, I'm sadly very sure there are numerous ABSOLUTE e WANKERS lurking here who are only too happy to help you waste lots of both the above.

As is being proved RIGHT NOW !!

Peeeeeeuuuuuukeeeeee.....

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"rebel"

** Wot - like assuming an anonymous prick like YOU is an utter scumbag ??

Practically guaranteed to be correct.

A dead cert.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:06:36 GMT, and after reading the post titled " Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.", Rod Out Back ordered the talented chickens to cluck & peck the following:

-- Something else I forgot to mention. You havent included the power consumption of the IR Floodlight (assuming you want the camera to function at night). If you have mains power at the site, you could probably run this separately, but then you'd be able to do the same for the rest of the gear.

-- The IR floodlight supplied with our camera has an LDR built into it, and all self-contained. It regulates power output, dependant on available light.

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

Reply to
Rod Out Back

**You should, at least, do the following:

  • Use a MUCH larger battery.

  • Find the lowest consumption camera available.
  • Find the camera with the lowest light requirements.
  • Use a PIR motion detector to switch the camera and lighting on and off. PIRs are now available with VERY low power consumption.

The last suggestion should give dramatically better battery life. PIRs can be set to ignore animals (most of the time) and respond only to humans (or large animals).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

You might want to consider a more efficient AP? The Linksys WRT54G can run off any voltage between 7 and 40 volts and consumes a bit over 5 watts - feeding it 13.6v from your battery will draw 0.4 Amps.

Also the WRT54G is Linux-based and there are a number of replacement firmwares available which make it highly customisable - there are mods to access serial ports and IO pins which can then be controlled by simple shell scripts.

Reply to
Poxy

This will help with the calcs.

You are free to make your owen choices.

Have you measured that? Often labels give max consumption.

Far too small. You are asking for 40Amphours above and the recommendation for long life of batteries is 50% max discharge. There is a Centurion 75AmpHrfor about $179 ($129 on special {:-) at Supercheap Auto, or visit Battery World or a local battery shop.

But, what about cloudy days?

Basically, how much does this vandalism cost you? You should expect to spend much more to prevent it (well really spot it happening).

These should be common and easy to find, although I am not sure about "efficent" because as I understand the common 7905, etc regulators you take 60W (12V @ 5A) and blow 35Watts away to give 25Watts (5v @ 5A).

It might be easier and more efficent to just get a 12V->240V inverter and use the supplied plug packs for the two devices.

The biggest you can safely mount. You will probably need more than one. and do not stint on the regulator.

From what I've heard, mostly irrelevant( not that great a benefit) unless you have a tracker, but give it a try and let us know. Solar panels work best when thety are at 90 degrees/perpendicular to the sun's rays, which only happens once per day(maybe) with a fixed panel.

Reply to
Terryc

Gee Phil, you are really slowon the pick up today. This is a "sporting club" Phil, which is code for GUN club. The cameras are to warn them when someone is on site, a siren sounds and the vandals are given a sporting chance to flee {:-) before they become targets.

OTOH, everything you say is correct. Think of it more as an intelligence gathering exercise, to work out when the vandals tend to visit. They might get lucky and get a readable number plat or something.

Phil, have you ever looked through any video or surveillance camera in the night time? Most respond well to IR.

Actually Timmah (can not help by think of Timmy from South Park) might be better just to run a simple set of flood lights driven by motion sensors.

Reply to
Terryc

I think it'd be "Timmah!" if that were the case.

sensors.

Or maybe just a battery, a PIR movement sensor, a solenoid and a shotgun.

Reply to
Poxy

"Terryc

** Fuck you - s*****ad.

** YOU have no idea.
** Absolute BOLLOCKS.

** The " vandals" will simply steal or destroy any camera gear.
** Yawn....

You are just as clueless as this Timmah fool.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Poxy"

** Merely setting up such a " man trap" is a VERY SERIOUS criminal offence.

Could get you 5 years in the clink.

Plus various firearms offences on top.

If it shot anyone, the owners would be charged with murder or malicious wounding etc.

Gets you 14 to 25 years in the clink.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hi Rod,

Thanks for info.. I've seen a couple of similar units floating around EBAY - they accept av in, so you can pick and choose your camera(s) to suit your situation. I guess my only issue is that most of them seem to be limited to 1GB @ 256 pics - which isn't really ideal.

The idea behind the wireless link was actually two-fold - the first and most important was security, but the secondary use is for a snapshot feed back to the website - that gives us an image of the field condition & windsock before we set up shop for the day.

It turns out one of the club members works in the boating industry, and can get hold of deep cycle batteries and solar panels at cost for us - that should be a huge help.

Regds, Tim.

Rod Out Back wrote:

calculations.",

but

user-settable

floodlight

the

Reply to
Timmah

Yup, best thing about it is my reader allows me to killfile guys such as yourself with a single click.

CLICK!

Reply to
Simon

You are going to have to explain how they do that. AFAIK, it is just a matter/choice of activation level and they don't really know the difference in type of animal, only relative amount of body heat given off.

Reply to
Terryc

It should be possible if all else fails to set the beam height and spread to shoot over the local animals and hit the human midsection

Reply to
atec 77

I've done this-- although I wouldn't recommend the WRT54 devices, as they're lacking USB, which would be pretty-much essential unless you've got a serial interface camera around. A fair bit of Linux Wizardry would be required to bring the system together as well.

I found to have the most comprehensive references for doing so.

--
Chris
Reply to

** Your loss - f*****ad.

Bet I will be watching you.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Correct.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Andrew Rich"

** Best idea I've seen posted so far.

But someone has to feed and check on the dog daily and there has to be a perimeter fence to keep him in.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison