Simplest processor? Minimum number of instructions?

Does anyone know of sites that post circuits for extremely simple processors. Or any that have studied the minimum needed for processing.

I have a CPU with just one ALU instruction (logic NAND) from which I can build up subroutines for every operation (all logic and mathematical operations).

But i am wondering about what is the minimum number of instructions/registers for the CPU setup that could still result in being able to process? I have got it down to 4 registers and 6 instructions, but im being pretty conventional about my setup (index pointer, instruction pointer, two working registers). Wonder if you can get away with just 2 registers by smart sequences of instructrions?

Reply to
MisterE