Silicon Chip magazine

In the scheme of things the Oz magazines have never really paid that well. SC is (or was) (IIRC) $100/page, tax free if you claim it as hobby income. EA was more complicated in how it was calculated, but was similar overall.

That's might be a nice little side earner if you can churn out general interest articles that don't need much work, but if you design a decent sized project then the prototype costs alone could be more than you might get paid for the article. That of course dosn't count your time, and if you are used to getting say $50/hour in industry, you certainly wouldn't do it for the money. It is a labour of love for most, with the real benefit being the kick you get out of seeing your project published, or possibly selling kits or bits on the side. It doesn't hurt on the resume either.

But money aside, I agree, I've found my dealings with SC quite fruitful and will most likely continue to contribute every now and then, and I'd also encourage others to do so as well.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I have in just completed a project which I was going to offer to SC. I have just changed my mind.

I understand it is popular mag with the hobbiest, but it is a 'has been' mag with very poor content, and has been like this for some time now. I fail to understand why people buy it. I rate it up there with the 'New Idea' mags.

Reply to
The Real Andy

"The Real Andy" wrote

I have in just completed a project which I was going to offer to SC. I have just changed my mind.

I understand it is popular mag with the hobbiest, but it is a 'has been' mag with very poor content, and has been like this for some time now. I fail to understand why people buy it. I rate it up there with the 'New Idea' mags.

****Then just why would you have entertained the idea of offering a project to them????????????????????/

Wotta wanker!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

Brian it's patently obvious you have not heard the old axion about keeping quite and not confirming your foolishness..

Reply to
atec77

Because "it is a popular mag with the hobbyist" perhaps... There are benefits to getting a project published, even if you don't partically find the mag useful yourself, the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Like having to answer thousands of e-mails over a period of >10 years from constructors whose poor soldering stopped the kit you designed from working, and/or didn't bother to read the kit notes, perhaps....?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

** The female staffers at EA mag seemed to think that outside contributors has some legal/moral obligation to deal personally with each and every half witted kit constructor who wrote a some bitching, stupid letter to them. Instead of the shonky commercial operators ( ie like DSE, Jaycar and Rod Irving ) that sold the damn kits.

They would forward a copy of the ( usually scrawly, hand written) missive on with a curt request to answer it !!!

Why ??????????

9 bloody chances out of 10, the dickwad had already found and fixed his dumb error before his dopey letter arrived at the offices of EA.

All they had to do was send out a standard reply letter:

" We KNOW the design is A-OK, hundreds of working examples prove that point beyond doubt.

Please re-check all your soldering and all component values and orientation.

Missed solder joints and solder bridges account for most non working PCBs.

Kindly direct all future correspondence to your kit supplier.

They are making all the money out to this - not us . "

Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh !!!!!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I see that I'm not alone. :-) The internet has made it much easier for them to tell you that they never make mistakes and they've checked the soldering a dozen times. Then there are the nit-pickers who tell you how you *should* have designed it, plus the aggressive Americans/Canadians who think the kit is a scam and that they've been conned, and that the only reason you make appearances on newsgroups is to subtly promote "your product". I could write a book! I absolutely agree with your final 'word'. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:23:42 +1100, Bob Parker wrote

SNIP

Now there's an idea for a Silicon Chip article Bob :-)

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I wonder if they'd publish it? :-)

Reply to
Bob Parker

It was kind of you to warn Julian of some possible consequences but Julian's response was helpful to the group and should be encouraged in a general social sense. Did you actually lose any money as a result of your encounter with Lynden E. Hooper and Co or were they simply used to silence you?

Reply to
David Segall

"David Segall"

** No more " kind" than warning a blind person they are about to walk in front of an oncoming bus.
** What response was that then ?

The one YOU just snipped out of sight ??

How dopey of you.

** No money was expended by me - can't say how much Lynden E. charged Leo, SC and Co.

I have not been silenced - you presumed far too much.

Julian's predicament is another matter entirely.

Watch this space.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

And if they did... would they pay? :-)

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I am sorry if I offended you. I only wanted to say that although you were right to warn Julien of some possible consequences of his posts I thought his posts were valuable. And yes, I did snip one of those posts because I did not think it was relevant to this thread about the legal and moral aspects of the posts. In addition I guessed that, in your case, the lawyers were used in an _attempt_ to silence critics and that Julien should not be too concerned before he gets a letter from the lawyers. I am glad that you were not silenced and the purpose of my post was to encourage Julien to speak out too. I hesitated to do that before confirming that you were not bankrupted by Hooper and Co.

Reply to
David Segall

Hi Bob Yes, I forgot about that nice "side benefit" :-/ Great if you are a "people person" In one case I had to even answer hardware questions on a kit I didn't design!

I had one guy send back one of my kits (unsolicited) and demanded that I fix it "under warranty". He had the 78L05 regulator in backwards.

Like I said, it's certainly a labour of love...

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David Segall"

** What planet does this narcissistic fool living on ?????

** Who gives a rat's what a posturing idiot like YOU thinks ??

YOU have no idea if what Julian posted is true or fair comment or not.

** Bollocks.

** Only fools make guesses and then acts on them.

** The time to be concerned is well before any letters from lawyers rrive - cos by then it is probably too late.

Obviously, YOU have not the faintest damn clue what a LAWYER'S letter complaining about defamation demands of the recipient and threatens to do to that same person.

** YOU have no idea if what Julian posted is true or even fair comment not.

YOU are NOT the one at risk of being sued.

** Huh ?????

So anything less than total financial ruin is perfectly OK in your estimation.

Just so some congenital dope like YOU be amused by a pointless NG whinge.

Unbelieveable !!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**LOL!
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

LOL. When has the threat of being sued ever worried you Phil? I mean, what are they going to do if you lose? Round up your collection of toasters?

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

But at least it keeps you off the streets at night Bob

David (gr> David L. J> >

Reply to
quietguy

Brian is in my kill filter. But for the record the reason I considered it was because I did the project for my father, who has freinds who want the same. The idea of a kit from jaycar was great. Furhtermore, I had a few other things that pissed me off about the whole idea, but thats another story.

Reply to
The Real Andy