Re: CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

Still doesn't prove your lame assed claim that incandescents don't last.

Michael A. Terrell

See my question regarding this, elsewhere in the thread

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

**I don't need to prove it. It has been well documented:

This is an interesting primer on the topic:

Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

You can find websites that say anything you want them to. I do use some CFLs where I don't have to stay for more than a few minutes and I despise them. "DO NOT USE BASE UP!!!" That eliminates a lot of fixtures. "DO NOT USE IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE!!!" There goes the outdoor lights. I do not like the color temperature of CFLs, or a lot of other light sources. LED Lights give me headaches. Go preach to your choir of greenies.

Michael A. Terrell

"Arfa Daily" wrote in news:b6veq.4435$4%. snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.ams:

glass is ~75% silicon dioxide.

compare a lamp envelope to a LED silicon substrate,and there's no doubt about which has more silicon. At least to the rational folks.

Wiki is your friend.

from Wiki; Silicon is commercially prepared by the reaction of high-purity silica with wood, charcoal, and coal, in an electric arc furnace using carbon electrodes. At temperatures over 1,900 °C (3,450 °F), the carbon reduces the silica to silicon according to the following chemical equation:

(not semiconductor-grade Si,that uses trichlorosilane.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

silicon=20

there, and=20

what=20

in,=20

Zone melting is no longer used (it was popular in the early Germanium days). Today they react sand with Chlorine to get SiCl4 or with Hydrogen to get SiH4 (silane). Then they use distillation to get to parts per trillion purity. Maybe a dopant is added at this point. Then react it back to pure metal. That then goes into a Cockrozski crystal puller. Slice the boule into wafers and now the nasty chemicals start. Buffered HF, arsine, borane and worse. And along the way a lot of energy.

Reply to
josephkk

colour

=20

higher=20

and=20

and=20

Mini=20

the=20

=20

any=20

whole=20

The=20

the=20

more=20

the=20

Some of the early CFL had/have an excess of green in their spectrum. Not so much of a problem today.

Reply to
josephkk

Ah. OK. I never was much of a chemist at school. I didn't realise that silica sand was was basically silicon dioxide. Although I suppose the name is a bit of a giveaway, with hindsight ... :-)

Still, even so with that being the case, it's a bit of a distortion to liken this compounded silicon which is there naturally, to the pure silicon that has been processed out of the sand, for use in semiconductors.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily