Potentiometer types

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary

Translate This Thread From English to

Threaded View

I am trying to establish the different taper types of potentiometers
(varistors) that have been commonly available in the past or presently.

This is what I have established so far:

Linear -- no taper aka B-taper (previously called A-taper!)
Modified linear -- aka S-taper having an S shaped taper characteristic
Clockwise Audio -- log taper aka A-taper (previously called C-taper!)
Counter-clockwise Audio -- antilog taper (previously called F-taper)
Quasi-log/bilinear -- approximate log taper consisting of two linear
?? - type G-taper?
?? - type W-taper?

Is there a definitive reference for these naming conventions for
differently specified taper laws?

Re: Potentiometer types

Quoted text here. Click to load it

** Varistors are voltage dependant devices used for transient suppression

Quoted text here. Click to load it

** Not very likely, codes varied from maker to maker and country to country.

I have bought reverse log pots made in Australia by IRH  labelled  "E"  -
while someYank makers called them  " RA" ( reverse audio ? )

The Taiwanese called log pots  " D "  for decades -  Alps label their
reverse log pots  "RD".

Many UK made pots are labelled with "log" and "lin" .

I just centre the wiper and test the damn things with a DMM if in any doubt.

........  Phil

Re: Potentiometer types

Quoted text here. Click to load it

One point, don't expect any sort of accurate compliance with the specified
equation. The relationship can be rough as guts.

Site Timeline