Potentiometer types

I am trying to establish the different taper types of potentiometers (varistors) that have been commonly available in the past or presently.

This is what I have established so far:

Linear -- no taper aka B-taper (previously called A-taper!) Modified linear -- aka S-taper having an S shaped taper characteristic Clockwise Audio -- log taper aka A-taper (previously called C-taper!) Counter-clockwise Audio -- antilog taper (previously called F-taper) Quasi-log/bilinear -- approximate log taper consisting of two linear sections ?? - type G-taper? ?? - type W-taper?

Is there a definitive reference for these naming conventions for differently specified taper laws?

Reply to
Barry

"Barry"

** Varistors are voltage dependant devices used for transient suppression etc.
** Not very likely, codes varied from maker to maker and country to country.

I have bought reverse log pots made in Australia by IRH labelled "E" - while someYank makers called them " RA" ( reverse audio ? )

The Taiwanese called log pots " D " for decades - Alps label their reverse log pots "RD".

Many UK made pots are labelled with "log" and "lin" .

I just centre the wiper and test the damn things with a DMM if in any doubt.

Reply to
Phil Allison

One point, don't expect any sort of accurate compliance with the specified equation. The relationship can be rough as guts.

Reply to
bruce varley