[OT] Sorta OT - plastic tube for electronics housings

It's a bit OT but most of us here have dealt with this sort of thing so I thought I'd try my luck again . . . . . . .

I'm looking for somewhere to buy rigid plastic tubing to house a pcb for a low volume "cottage industry" product. Electrical conduit & irrigation pipe are almost ideal but the plastic is inconsistent in its makeup, colour and finish.

What I'm looking for is:

  • ID around 16mm, OD 18mm --> 20mm
  • Need 5m or so
  • PVC referred but polycarbonate or maybe acetal could be ok, but needs to be white or light grey or cream colour
  • Outside use, 0C-55C temps, indirect sunlight, would need to last a couple of years

Dotmar & the local plastic suppliers don't seem to have anything. RS & similar don't have anything. I'd rather source tube than buy rod/bar and bore it out, but I'll do that if I have to.

Any suggestions alternatives or some potential Australian sources?

Thanks

Reply to
Den

Wouldn't rigid plastic conduit do, or even water pipe? I'm sure I've seen both in white in the UK and 20 mm is a popular OD for conduit and fittings - can't think of a reason why they shouldn't be available elsewhere (except perhaps national building/wiring regs).

Chris

Reply to
christofire

Oops - missed 'inconsistent in its makeup, colour and finish'.

Reply to
christofire

Yeah - other than it's colour flaws etc it's pretty much perfect - and very inexpensive. cheers.

Reply to
Den

Have you looked at PVC water pipe? It's white (so more consistent naturally), and made for a more demanding job (retaining pressure long-term) so perhaps more reliable in makeup.

The underground-rated orange electrical tubing is most more consistent, even though you didn't want that colour. I've used Clipsal electrical j-boxes for a similar type of product, but the orange colour was a distinct advantage to me.

You could try to call Clipsal anyhow - perhaps if you source your conduit from a single, local, quality company, you'll get a consistent result? Better than buying at Bunnings anyhow.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Good idea, I might visit the local L&H and see if they stock better quality conduit, maybe the irrigation places may have better quality water pipe as well. The Bunning conduit & water pipe has gone the way of most of their stock - cheap & nasty. Thanks.

Reply to
Den