OT Skype phone number popup whinge

After installing Skype for videocalls I have noticed an annoying problem. When I view a webpage with numbers in a list - e.g. a train or bus timetable or an electronics catalogue with order numbers - I often get a Skype popup which thinks the combination of numbers is a real phone number and a hotlink to dial them via Skype appears. This might be OK if they really were phone numbers, but almost always they are NOT phone numbers, they are just bus times or catalogue numbers that the stupid Skype software decides ARE phone numbers.

Anyone else had this specific problem ?

I have exhausted all 'HELP' options within Skype to try and fix this. I don't want to disable ALL popups just for this one Skype pain-in-the-arse, nor do I want to disable ALL 3rd party internet extensions. And BTW I have removed Skype from the Start Menu with MSCONFIG, and the problem occurs even though I haven't run Skype after starting the PC.

Helpful advice welcome.

Reply to
fritz

tools > options > Advance Settings > Callto: links enable/disable

is that set off?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Product Sellout: 15% OFF 4DSystems OLED Displays & modules.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/micro-oled.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

The option you suggested under Skype>tools >options>Advance Settings>Callto: links enable/disable is disabled. Yet the popups still appear, even though that option is disabled.

The only way I have found to stop the Skype popups is to disable under IE8>Tools>

Internet Options>Advanced>enable third-party browser extensions This fixes the Skype problem, but stops up all other third-party software as well.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Fritz

Reply to
fritz

I don't have this problem, but then I'm not running IE.

Try section isolation. Have you tried another browser such as Firefox?

Even if you don't want to use firefox, and least it will tell you if it is IE related, and not a skype bug of some sort.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Product Sellout: 15% OFF 4DSystems OLED Displays & modules.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/micro-oled.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

That would be a last resort, I have emailed Skype detailing the problem and I expect them to fix it without requiring a change in my browser choice. If Skype does not respond to my modest request, so be it.

I expect Skype.com to explain why their software is doing what it does within IE8, while I have never selected it, inserting stupid pop-ups during bus timetables.

Reply to
fritz

Have you looked in Tools - Manage Add ons in IE. If there is an add-on causing this, just disable it.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Thanks, that seems to have worked. I disabled anything to do with Skype, and with 3rd party extensions enabled I don't get the silly Skype pop-ups in websites with numbers (like timetables) anymore.

I just wish the bastards wouldn't make all that crap the default state when you install Skype.

BTW Is Skype really the best free software for video calls ?

Fritz

Reply to
fritz

Since I last posted I have received an email from Skype ......so they do respond to problems...

Thank you for contacting Skype Support.

We are sorry to hear that you are having problems with the Skype plugin.

We understand you would like to remove the number highlighting feature in Skype.

To disable number highlighting please follow these steps:

  1. Open your web browser
  2. On the toolbar you should see the Skype Add-on/extension icon
  3. Click on the icon to turn it off.

If you are not able to find an add-on/extension icon, then reinstall Skype as follows:

  1. Uninstall Skype from: Start > Settings > Control Panel > "Add or Remove Programs" (for Vista users, Start > Settings > Control Panel > "Programs and Features").
  2. Search for "Skype" and remove/uninstall it.
  3. Download Skype from

Important: Once you start the installation process, click on Options, and make sure the following check box(es) are unticked:

- Install Skype extension for Mozilla Firefox

- Install Skype add-on for Internet Explorer

And proceed with the installation as usually.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you are experiencing difficulties.

Reply to
fritz

--- snip

and a good answer also by the look of it.

Cheers Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

Product Sellout: 15% OFF 4DSystems OLED Displays & modules.

Don McKenzie

I am impressed that a free service like Skype provides such help, and quickly too. I can only recommend others to try it - I use it for international videocalls and apart from the (now resolved) problem with popups, it works very well indeed. Download Skype from

fritz