OT: Big Bang Theory

Just finished watching Season 1 of Big Bang Theory, and have started on Season 2. Is it just me or is this the most hilarious and well written TV comedy ever for nerds? They have one engineer in the mix, but few engineering jokes, it's mostly physics or geek gags. But what a great value show. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and give it a go.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

**I love it. Let's not mention Kaley Cuoco (Penny). Then again, let's. She is drop dead georgeous. Jim Parsons (Sheldon) is a stand-out. Funny as a cut snake. Yet another winner for Chuck Lorre.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**Oh yeah. Have you seen the episode with George Smoot (
) in it? An asbolute hoot.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

cut

And yet they only showed a couple of episodes during non rating period on FTA originally. They did the same with "Seven rules for dating my teenage daughter" originally too. Shows how stupid the programmers are.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Hi, Dave. I was pretty hopeful about Netflix'ing some of these after seeing a scene that was on Youtube, perhaps 6 months back. This scene is what caught my attention:

They nailed the physicist/engineer thing nicely. And it played neatly into the fun I have with my son, joking about the differences between the work life of theoretical and experimental physicists, too! He and I found it putting that into a nice "box" to see.

We got our first disk for the first season and I watched it with my wife. We found the laugh tracks annoying, the humor cheap, and the appeal mostly puerile ... broadly speaking. Bear in mind that I've only seen perhaps the first four or five shows, though.

There are some good moments (when I can ignore the laugh tracks.) I'm _very_ glad to have watched that one scene. Most of it is difficult for me to wade through, though.

If you know of some really good scenes to watch in the first season that you've already enjoyed (knowing that one which I considered 'nice'), I'd be interested in a pointer to the shows and perhaps the scenes within them. I would like looking at two-minute-at-a-time high points. I just can't wade through all the rest.

Maybe it is just because I can't stand the way they use the laugh tracks, though. It reminds me of the very first show to really use them (which went overboard), "The Real McCoys" back in the mid 1950's. That series had Walter Brennen and I liked him on other movies I'd watched before, but the whole show is simply unwatchable because of the laugh tracks. A person says "Hi" and a laugh track plays. Another says, "Well, I have to be going" and a laugh track plays. It doesn't matter what's said... it's almost continuous. Destroys the show for me when it is inanely flooded with laugh tracks. There's only so much I can stomach.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Yes, having read Smoot's book many years ago, this was by conincidence the first episode I caught on TV while channel surfing and his name popped up, and then the cameo at the end.. I figured anything that had George Smoot as a cameo is something I should be watching. I'm looking forward to going back and watching again now I know what's going on and can relate to all the characters.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Yes, Sheldon is the clear stand-out, the show probbaly wouldn't exist if he didn't nail that character. No wonder he's been nominated for an Emmy.

I think the casting of Sara Gilbert is a brilliant choice too.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

The only Smoot I remember was in my MIT class of 1962... ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Funny, he went on to become chairman of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and president of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Mike

Reply to
amdx

I'll be back there in June 2012 for my 50th reunion. ...Jim Thompson

cut

Excellent show. One fellow I worked with is pretty much exactly Sheldon, even down to the mannerisms. And non-nerds can enjoy it too, they just laugh at different places.

Reply to
speff

Yes, very often confused with his much more famous cousin.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Three women were sharing coffee one day when the subject got around to sex.

The first woman said, "My husband's a pro wrestler. When he makes love to me, he tosses me around the bed like a rag doll and takes me with a passion that borders on sheer violence."

The second woman said, "Well, *my* husband is an artist. And, when *he* makes love to me he caresses my body as if it was a painters canvas. The sensation is *exquisite*!"

A long pause ensued.

The first two women looked at each other; then at the still silent third woman.

Feeling their gaze, the third woman set down her cup with an audible sigh.

Staring into her coffee, she said, "My husband's an engineer. When he makes love to me, all he does is sit at the foot of the bed and tell me how GREAT it's going to be when I finally *get* it..."

[apologies to any sensibilities I may have offended]

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Sorry, I'm not scene based, I find almost every line and manerism hilarious in some way. The intricate story writing with it's blend of physics and nerd manerisms is what makes it great overall, just not the odd science or nerd joke scene.

It's a shame you can't just relax and look past that stuff, as the material is just so brilliant. I don't even notice the laugh tracks in the slightest, probably because I'm laughing at the exact same points.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Well, I enjoy your videos. So we must have a few things in common. ;) But that show doesn't reach very high for its humor, mostly. Just my opinion.

Oh, the tracks are absolutely horrible. If nothing else did, their inane use of them alone would make me unable to watch much. I suppose that's parly why I find a scene wonderful but the show a pain I cannot handle. But I did try. I honestly tried.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

log.com

You should pay close attention to the props they have around the apartment. There is generally a Dekavider on the desk. Hey wait, I have one of those too......

if you never saw one. About $5 to $10 at a ham swap meet. Mine is way better than the one in the link.

The only thing that strike me odd is all the phone books. Geeks don't use phone books. I have actually called and asked them (SBC and the "other" book) not to kill a tree in my name, but they insist on dropping them off.

These TV people don't miss a trick. Check out

miso

For those in NZ or with satellite access to NZ TV Wednesdays and fridays at 8pm (NZ TIME (TZ="Pacific/Auckland")) on TVNZ2

Jasen Betts