Kogan Internet radio KGNDRVCA

On Wed, 01 May 2019 05:44:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid (RMD) wrote: Hi All,

I've soak-tested theis radio with an unregulated 7.5V plugpack, which puts out 11.2V on standby and 10.5V when the radio is on. The radio is still working fine after 10 days, mostly operating on standby.

I've done further experiments on powering this radio. It will actually work if powered by a regulated 7.5V plug-pack. Testing it with a regulated variable supply it "stutters" at 7V.

I've ordered on-line a regulated plug-pack with selectable voltages including 7,5V and 9V. I'll probably operate it on 7.5V unless I need to boost it to 9V for reliable operation.

I can only find one accessible power supply capacitor, which, looking with a mirror is 1000uF, but my old eyes are quite unable to see what the voltage rating is. However, on what voltages I've subjected the radio to already this electrolytic has handled up to 15V without failing.

I'm just pleased I've rescued this radio from the e-waste bin. Looking at the radio more closely, if it was other than the power supply failure that actually happened, it would be likely impossible to fix

Btw Frontier Radio's former website, where you could register internet radios and set up personalised station lists, has gone belly-up from May 7th. The new Frontier Radio site has no facilities for radio registration or personalised station lists.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

The trade-off is that by removing most of the components, they've also removed almost all of the board-level failure modes. I view this change as almost entirely positive.

The far more common failure modes reflect external hardware, which is just as vulnerable (but also just as repairable) as it always was. The reduction in cost from board-level integration has changed the economics of repair (replacement is cheaper) so the external hardware also tends to be down-graded - no sense fitting high quality stuff if it's going to get chucked and replaced anyhow. This is not such a positive change for the environment.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I used a small dental mirror and was finally able to work out this

1000uF power supply smoothing capacitor is 16V rated.

Also, feeling around the various other components, which are all in sealed tinned enclosures, I can't detect any warmth which might indicate anything is overheating either on standby or while operating.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

Once the boards are rid of 'superfluous stuff', they'd probable have easier time extracting valuable metals, when all they're processing is integrated circuits

"A tonne of mobile phones (about 6,000 handsets), for example, contains about 130kg of copper, 3.5kg of silver, 340 grams of gold and 140 grams of palladium, worth tens of thousands of dollars.

they just have to perfect the method of recycling & upscale for large scale processing.

Reply to
#BoycottEurovision2019

Disregard the open circuit /unloaded voltage reading of plug pack.

The significant values is when its under load, 10.5v which I think is the "sweet spot" the 'resonant voltage' where the circuit 'hums' along.

manufacturers have got smart about forcing obsolescence on us by merging hardware with software/net access & thus making perfectly working hardware crippled with limited use, or not working at all.

The regulators have been asleep, & let corporations write the rules, as with bubble jet printers where they sold replacement ink at prices equivalent to weight in gold . If you tried to bypass it with generic 'colored water' the chips had to be manipulated to work with generic ink.

now that the damage is done, & they've conned everybody to buy "direct to landfill" product they've introduced "refillable" ink reservoirs to hook in the next generation of customers.

Same with apple, what looks like a safety feature is making pallet loads of iphones unusable because they haven't been properly "decommissioned" when they are traded in, and are unable to be resold 2nd hand.

"not all iCloud-locked phones are stolen devices-some of them are phones that are returned to telecom companies as part of phone upgrade and insurance programs. The large number of legitimately obtained, iCloud-locked iPhones helps supply the independent phone repair industry with replacement parts that cannot be obtained directly from Apple. But naturally, repair companies know that a phone is worth more unlocked than it is locked, and so some of them have waded into the hacking underground to become customers of illegal iCloud unlocking companies."

I can see this getting worse, with 5G IOT (internet of things )where every electronic device will want to 'phone home' via the internet. & if the link is lost device will stop working after a grace period.

Manufactures will track your oven, fridge, TV, toaster, toothbrush, radio, camera etc.etc. & notify you that you need to update your hardware.

Reply to
#BoycottEurovision2019

Sounds like it should be fine.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

I bet there's a lot less than 13% copper these days. In fact I think that number was always bogus. Even if they use 1oz copper PCB coating, that's about 1.5 grammes of copper in a phone that probably weighs upwards of 200g.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Perfection of the method is running into the limits set by the "laws of physics"; in this case,the chemical processes/cycles they go through to produce the end products.

Practically, the $$$(the real driver) isn't there and landfilling is still prime method. Chicken and egg to make any break throughs in ther processes.

Reply to
news18

The "size" of the coating really depends on the signal currents that are on the board. Lots of magic smoke been let loose over the decades by board designers that forgot that.

However, where the major copper has been is in the wires in components and increasingly, it is turnng up in heat migtigation devices.

Reply to
news18

Do the math, mate. It doesn't add up.

A phone needed that much copper, the battery would only last minutes.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That been the problem, they didn't do the maths.

Well, i've never deconstructed any 'mobile phone', but in everything elsea I'v "deconstructed", my comment is true.

Reply to
news18

"Resonant voltage" I worked in electronics for 50 odd years but that's a new one on me.

Reply to
keithr0

get with the program grandpa , it's what the hip young kids call it these days!

Its more "descriptive " than "technical" term, what about "operating voltage"?

Reply to
#BoycottEurovision2019

in one fell swoop google (Googification) have busted all bunch of HW/SW linked devices by re-branding.

"I'm sure there are "Works with Nest" ecosystem users out there that bought products specifically because they "Worked with Nest." When the service shuts down in August, it sounds like all of those (probably expensive) third-party smart home products will stop working with any Nest-based automation workflows. This mandatory feature removal situation is pretty much a smart home owner's worst nightmare.

Nest-branded products will continue to work with each other, but since "Works with Nest" was a program that let other services talk to Nest, a lot of third-party integrations will be going away. The Verge has a good rundown of just how many services are going to break, and it's a brutal who's who of smart home products. Amazon Alexa, Philips Hue, IFTTT, Logitech Harmony, Lutron lights, August Home, and Wemo switches will all be affected."

#BoycottEurovision2019

Sonny, I was hip before your mummy and daddy even met.

It's not even descriptive - look up the meaning of resonance. The phrase "Optimum voltage" would be both descriptively and technically correct

Reply to
keithr0

"Optimum voltage" is ok with me.

I was thinking of a "tuned RLC circuit" that have terms like "Resonant Frequency" & "Series Resonance".

the term *Resonant voltage* does exist & is used in other instances, e.g.

This diode has a *resonant voltage* for which there is a lot of current that favors a particular voltage, achieved by placing two very thin layers with a high energy conductance band very near each other.

And

*resonant voltage* step-up

Ability of an inductor and a capacitor in a series resonant circuit to deliver a voltage several times greater than the input voltage of the circuit.

And

What is *VOLTAGE RESONANCE* ? Condition of a circuit when the magnitude of a voltage passes through the maximum as the frequency is changed

as I said it was "descriptive" since technically we're not discussing "RLC circuits"

I stumbled upon a better word to describe being "in harmony with the environment "

syntony noun Definition of syntony

1 : the state of being normally responsive to and in harmony with the environment 2 : resonance sense 1b(2)
#BoycottEurovision2019

That is in the frequency domain not the voltage one

Thats quantum resonance, from an electronics point of view, the diode has an area of negative resistance at a particular voltage. Using that you can make a very simple oscillator or low power FM transmitter.

Still a function of frequency not voltage, that is an effect not the cause.

The resonance is still a function of frequency, the change in voltage is simply an effect of frequency resonance.

RLC circuits are where resonance is relevant - in electronics at least

You could use that word if you wish to be particularly pseud, but most people would understand and use optimum.

Reply to
keithr0