Extension Lead Test

se

tee

in

port it to

With everything having moulded plugs now, once you cut it, you have to replace the plug. I think that the current test is a better idea, especially if you have a lot of them to test.

tuation

d have

rse)

so well

MINAL type

er

=A0- =A0I

stralia

ay

ractice.

rom the

Reply to
kreed

Phil *thinks* he knows everything. Fact is that he does not. When some one dares to correct him, or point out something Phil does not know, he becomes very aggressive, and attacks the person, and then repeatedly posts the same attacks as he has nothing else positive to contribute. You only have to read this thread to see this.

Fact is that Phil could only manage to complete two years of university before being kicked out. Fact is that Phil is not even a licensed electrical contractor (and does keep up with the latest standards). As evident in previous he thinks "15 amp breakers are usual in the power box".

Phil also *thinks* that 24A will trip a 20A breaker "soon". Because Phil thinks this, that must be true, and nobody better disagree. Fact is that a 20A breaker may take 2 hours to trip on 20A. Don't take my word. Look it up on a circuit breaker manufactures web site, and see the time vs current tripping curve.

Electricity is something that you really do need to know about, and being pedantic about it may well save peoples life. Look at the insulation debacle to see why.

David

Reply to
David

You bet your arse it does. (see my other thread on this)

Of course, they use less copper, and just blatantly lie about it on the label.

Reply to
John Tserkezis

Indeed.

And this crap will STILL be imported regardless. Kinda like saying you don't like that particular droplet of ocean water, and the tide is coming in. Are YOU going to stop it?

Worst still, no-one was likely to find out because these power cords are supplied for low power gear that will never heat the cable above spec. Till of course they take that particular power cable and plug it into something that DOES take 10A, all the while wondering why they're left with a smouldering mess.

Reply to
John Tserkezis

It's all bullshit.

We did our own cable testing in-house at my last job, and I assure you, the cable tester did not in the least care about current (or perhaps) resistance testing. And as long as it got an OK from the tester box, we signed the label, and the auditors were happy as pie.

We tested it with the chinese bullshit IEC power cables, and all of them passed with flying colours. All they do is check to see each wire goes to where it's supposed to, and there isn't high voltage leakage between them.

Passed with flying colours and I routinely threw them out because I could not, and would not trust them.

The supplier doesn't care. The most you'll do is legally *make* them supply real cables and throw out the fake ones. Per unit product price jumps by $10, and your supplier of $15 chinese hard drive cases now charges $25 for the same thing.

And you're still paying $15 because you're now shopping from his next door neighbour who still hasn't been nabbed yet, especially since your first supplier has since gone out of business, and you're sourcing real leads cheaper in quantity from elsewhere anyway.

*THAT* is reality, and how does this help *anyone*?.
Reply to
John Tserkezis

"David Eather"

** Then the whole business of safety and compliance with standards is YOUR PROBLEM - pal !!!

Cos YOU are the IMPORTER !!!!

---------------------------------------

OTOH - my post involved a brand name mains extension lead, bought at a major retail store here in Australia.

You comments are entirely SMARTARSE as they derive from a different context where the LEGAL ONUS is on the IMPORTER to comply with electrical safety laws.

The simplest way for a small time importer to comply, is to ditch any AC leads that came with the item and source a fully approved example locally.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** By whom ??

Backyard Ebay sellers and a few similar gung ho types who have no idea what the safety laws are ??

I challenge you to point to even one such dealer who is doing this.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Some of them might not even be copper. (at least not pure copper anyway).

One under-rated IEC I cut apart (and posted results on here early

2007) didn't look like copper (was more like a black colour rather than copper colour), didn't like take to solder etc.

It melted / started smoking within a minute when running a 10A load @240v.

This has led to "paranoia" in regards to testing of cords and extensions ever since.

Reply to
kreed

"kreed" "Phil Allison"

Yes, I remember cases of this type being exposed on this group going back to at least 2002. IEC leads. I still remember a certain d*****ad who despite the technical facts, continued to argue the point.

** That poster was called "Miro".

A blow-in from "aus.photo" and "alt.satellite.tv.australasia".

Wot a lunatic.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The legal obligation of the importer ends at making *reasonable* attempts to ensure they have a compliant product and that is all.

The obligation would be fulfilled by communication to the supplier of the product requirements and *sighting* (not checking the validity of) a certificate of compliance issued by an appropriate Australian authority.

If your argument is that shouldn't be enough and a competent, responsible importer should do more than I agree with you.

No they weren't, see above.

Almost certainly.

Phil,

Are you just making objections because it's fun for you? I remember telling someone that elevated temperatures decreased the life of components (eg electro's) only to have you rip into me calling that bullshit, and a few days/weeks ago, you are telling someone that elevated temperatures reduce the life of components, so if they keep the temperature of their electro's down to 65 degrees then they would have a chance of it outlasting the product it was in.

Quite frankly arguments over shades of grey bore me.

Reply to
David Eather

"David Eather is off with the Fairies"

** Fraid you are completely, 1000 % WRONG !!!!!!!

Appliance leads ( IEC, extension etc) are PRESCRIBED items under Australian electrical safety laws.

You cannot LEGALLY import and sell them unless YOU have obtained the appropriate certifications and have the required labelling printed or embossed ON the items - or you can be prosecuted.

Seems you have not got the faintest clue what all this is even means.

Go have a GOOD look at an Australian supplied IEC lead sometime - pal.

There have labelling codes on them that identifies the IMPORTER - and that is NOT on a foreign market one.

See all those funny 3 and 4 digit N, Q and V prefix numbers on the plugs and the cable ?????

Got any idea what they mean ????

Obviously not.

THIS FACT is where your smug arrogance is letting you down.

** Not at all.

You are another know nothing, PITA d*****ad.

Clue up or piss off.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I really am not being smug in the least. Serious. If I was trying to be smug I would add insults and belittling expressions, which I haven't done.

Reply to
David Eather

A friend of mine in the UK had a business making cables. He made all sorts, audio, video, and mains leads. He eventually gave it away because imported Chinese cables, especially mains leads, were being retailed for less than his cost of materials. Since he was buying his materials on the same open market as they were, there was obviously some major difference in the quality of the product being used.

Reply to
keithr

"David Eather is off with the Fairies"

** You are nothing but smug.

You imagine you understand something you do NOT.

You refuse to be corrected.

That is smug.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Does anyone know what electrical qualifications this idiot Allison has.? Or any others for that matter. Maybe when he leaves school he may mature. It would take a while though. Just a thought

Reply to
Metro

Phil has quite a bit of electrical knowledge,He is just extremely annoying.

Reply to
F Murtz

Pity not as much as he thinks.

In the running for understatement of the year!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

At last count, Phil claims that fake IEC power leads do not even exist. Regardless of the fact that I've initially offered one for him to test. (No response yet as to his interest on this).

Feel free to use Google groups to gather evidence of your own. I've spent some time in the loony bin. (also documented) You're welcome to make up your own mind as to who the real loony is.

Reply to
John Tserkezis

"John Tserkezis"

** I was the FIRST person to raise the matter of fake IEC leads here on August 2, 2002 under the heading " IEC lead scam ?? "

Hi to all,

I have in my workshop a standard (black) IEC female to three pin lead which arrived with a repair job. The 3 pin plug was damaged so I cut it off and began to prepare the wires when I stopped dead.

On the IEC plug is printed "10 A / 250 V " and on the cable itself is printed "18 AWG x 3C " - it is 6.5 mm in diameter.

The wire in fact consists of 18 strands of 0.11mm copper or about 0.17 sq mm in total while 18 AWG is equal to 0.82 sq mm.

The very thin cable actually used equates to a rating of maybe 4 amps - this is very dangerous.

I will try to discover where this lead came from.

Regards, Phil

The above is post resulted in a 135 post long thread PLUS follow up threads of 41 and 21 posts.

** No point in testing any lead when JT will not reveal where it came from.
** Backs me up utterly and completely.
** That is no surprise ........
** Think the game is all over - pal.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You are very selective in your memory of history, and you see enemies where there are none. I'm done.

Reply to
David Eather