eBay gives up fight

** It's all over and sanity ( plus the ACCC) finally prevail.

The mad idea was a non- starter from the beginning.

Wot were the eBay jerk-offs thinking ?

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

..$profit$..$profit$..$profit$..

Reply to
swanny

"swanny"

** Of course, but it is impossible to believe they went into this without seeking legal advice and getting a law firm to write to the ACCC for them.

So they musta got some really bad advice.

Suckers.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I would blame the usual suspects, "money, power and control".

Unfortunately for them, and many of the Ebays traders the damage has already been done from what I have seen.

Within a week or so of the initial announcement, the number of bids/ bidders and watchers on items I was selling and categories I browse regularly fell noticeably. Also the number of people offering to buy off ebay rose a lot. Have not seen anything like it in the 6 years I have been listing on Ebay, and it wouldnt surprise me if many of the burnt sellers don't come back, or only list rubbish that they will take anything for just to get rid of it.

Also notice that you still have to offer paypal as a payment method, so they have had a "win" on that (so far).

With the unprecedented amount of deadbeat non paying winning bidders, (who you cant even leave neg feedback for now) the one thing that they could have looked at doing for sellers that might have compensated for it (and save them losing money by having to refund final value fees) , is to have offered to forcibly deduct (through pay pal etc) money from the accounts of non-paying winning bidders or provide a debt collection service on behalf of the seller, but i have my doubts that would work in many cases.

Reply to
kreed

I suspect they got the advice they paid to hear. Ebay wanted to believe it, the lawyers told them it was a possibility. They probably didn't think it was appropriate to tell Ebay they were being complete dickheads.

And stupid to boot!

Gotta love it.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

eBay still 'forcing' sellers to use PayPal

dmm

Yep, it got away with that sneaky one.

How to piss-off your sellers 101

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

There was an excellent comment about Ebay's tactics left here, from a supposed insider:

According to this, pissing off the small sellers is exactly what the new business model is.

Reply to
swanny

**Oh yeah, they've given up:

Not.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Trevor Wilson"

** Idiotic context shifting.

" Although eBay yesterday backed down on plans to lock out paying by money order, direct bank deposits and cheques, it has not rolled back a recent policy forcing all sellers to at least offer PayPal as one of the payment options."

Wot a wanker.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

:> ** It's all over and sanity ( plus the ACCC) finally prevail. :>

:>

:>

:> The mad idea was a non- starter from the beginning. :>

:> Wot were the eBay jerk-offs thinking ? : :**Oh yeah, they've given up: : :

: :Not.

While Ebay can insist that sellers offer Paypal as ONE of the method of payment, they can NOT insist that this is the ONLY method. This is what Ebay attempted to do but the ACCC has ruled it would be classified as "exclusive dealing". Consaequently they have said "Ebay, naughty, naughty - we are not going to allow you to do that."

Reply to
Ross Herbert

"Ross Herbert"

** Correct.

That is why eBay had to formally apply to the ACCC for an * exemption * from the usual anti-competition provisions of the TPA.

Far as their new rule about sellers having to OFFER PayPal as an option - that is simply a legitimate condition of doing business with eBay.

But not, in fact, a significant anti-competitive tactic.

Remember, the basis of all business is to screw the competition....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Fark! Thanks for the link.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

It's just another way to piss off the small time sellers who they don't want.

If Joe Blogs wants to sell just one item under $200 on Ebay and accepts PayPal, then they get hit with yet another fee for tranferring the money from PayPal into their account.

So that's a listing fee, a final value fee, a PayPal fee, and a PayPal account transfer fee. All in eBay's pocket. And if it's all too much hassle for Joe Blogs to transfer that money, then eBay keep the lot. You gotta hand it to'em.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones