dual wifi antennas on routers

I have a new dual antenna router I bought off ebay, a netgear prosafe series DGFV338. I was wondering how the 2 antennas work. Is one for

5ghz and other 2.4ghz? Can I leave one off as I want to mount it standing on its side and just leave one of the antennas upright and connected. I have tried it with one antenna only and still get 5 bars of signal strenth but dont want to damage it potentially. thanks

George

Reply to
syd bluemountains

Shirley it came with destructions.............

Reply to
Metro

instructions dont say a thing..

But reading up on dual antennas it appears the second antenna is for 'diversity' The radio picks the antenna with the best signal and uses that antenna. Both antennas are not used at the same time. Some routers with one antenna have a second diversity antenna internal to the box.

Reply to
syd bluemountains

Yep! Diversity reception will only work properly with antennas over a wavelength apart -- no problem at those frequencies.

Reply to
Dimmer

Both are for 2.4 GHz.

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Also, its important to avoid top posting.

Reply to
Barry OGrady

I think you misread his post Barry, he wanted to mount it on its side.

Reply to
Dennis

Reply to
Dimmer

yes I have removed one antenna and have mounted it on its side. Range still good. Cant notice any difference really. thanks for the replies.

Reply to
syd bluemountains