Deep cycle batteries

o be

ch

le

If its going to be left out in the bush for 48 hours, It would be worth considering the temperature extremes that it will be subjected to day and night also. If this is going to be a problem, a small esky might help.

Reply to
KR

snip

Another question: The battery charger I use is from Jaycar, charges four batteries at a time, and has LEDs to show when the cells are charging and when they are charged. It also has a sort of bar-graph to show the state of charge. If I wait until the LEDs and the bar-graph show that the C-cells are fully charged, and then disconnect the charger, wait a minute or two and re-connect the charger, it tells me that all the cells are half-charged and takes about an hour to show full charge again. And again if I do the same thing immediately. Is this a faulty charger, dud batteries, or just the way things are? In other words, are the cells fully charged the first time, or are they more charged the second or third time? Or are they never more than half-charged? They sure don't last very long whatever I do.

Reply to
L.A.T.

minute

out

low

I was thinking that the loss of capacity would be masking the self discharge, something along the lines of if the battery has 50% self discharged, but also lost 50% of its capacity, then its EMF would be unchanged.

On reflection, I don't think it could work that way.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

minute

out

I haven't tested "aged" cells, but the normal range of OCV is between 3v0 at low voltage cutoff and 4v2 for fully charged and that remains the same as it is the charger characteristic. I'd expect the normal curve of cell OCV vs SOC to be pretty much the same regardless of loss of capacity.

Reply to
rebel

I have a charger that does 1, 2 or 4 batteries. It stops charging when there is a sudden change in charge current. That could be when one of the 4 batteries reaches full charge. I had the same problem as you and now have better results charging one battery at a time.

HTH Gordon

Reply to
Gordon W

I strongly doubt that you could fully discharge them, if you wanted to get maximum life(cycles) from the. The Bill Harden(?) FAQ on lead acid batteries that is floating around the et recommends 50% max or shallower.

I also doubt that any modern battery (could be fully discharged either due to risk of cell reversal.

To cut to the chase, you can get deep-discharge 6v lead acid batteries as these are how you safely build up to bigger Amphour reserves without needing to hire a forklift or crane to move them..

If this requirement is a regular one, then a proper DD is probably the way to go, complete with proper recharger. If it is occassional requirement, then a motorcycle battery may be more economical.

It really is a question of how much power is drawn out of the battery over this period.

You of course can get lighter batteries, but you pay the price. Capacity wise, SLA were no cheaper than DD lead-acid in the 12V range. might be different in the 6V, then there is NimH, or LiPoly if you pockets are deep or needs low.

Reply to
terryc

Which capacity one are they?

aps if there is only one. I was looking a NiMH AA replacement and wondering which of the almost dozen different capacities would be safe with my recharger.

Sounds like one of their high capacity 6V SLA and matching charger would probably suit you,

Reply to
terryc

Err, IME, exkies only work if there is something inside them as a cold sink. Poly brocolli boxes from the vege shop would be cheaper and better insulation.

Reply to
terryc

is

Note chargers go both ways, and could do what your charger does and place two batteries in series, and charges them as a set. Others have an individual charger circuit for each battery.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Max Harding vk3jin wrote: [snip]

Does anyone know a similar shop in Perth?

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

Go to the RSPCA and get a pitbull to watch the crop.

Reply to
<123