CRO unit - definately one for the old timers

This one is definately for the old timers.

Maybe 20-40 years ago I recall one of the tech magazines describing a unit that could be used on a single trace CRO to produce two traces. Used some kind of electronic switch to produce the two traces.

Of course it was limited to the lower frequencies, below the switch rate.

Does this ring any bells with anyone and/or reference to a similar unit available these days.

JERD

Reply to
JERD

That rings a bell, in EA I thought, possibly also in one of the old compilation "Test Gear Vol.X" mags too.

Quick search here show no mention of it:

The ETI index shows a "Dual beam Adaptor" in Jul 74.

I have not seen another design since those days.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

**This was the standard to most analogue CROs built since the late 1960s (maybe even earlier). There were, of course, many dual BEAM CROs produced. These were made with two sets of vertical deflection plates and two guns. The traces were completely separately accessible. The downside was the limited deflection area for the traces. Dual TRACE CROs neatly circumvented this limitation. There are (or were) two methods used: 1) Chopped. This is where the waveforms are modulated with a square wave and displayed on the tube very quickly. Normally, this type of display is used for low(ish) frequencies (
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Thank you! A good start.

I remember building one of these units but after some 36 years it is long time lost. I have a really old CRO that I would like to use for a particular task. Also have a more modern Rigol unit - thanks to your reviews!

Now all I have to do is find the particular mag.

JERD

Reply to
JERD

"JERD"

** All you have to do is contact Bob Barnes at RCS Radio - as they have the PCB for ETI project 114 advertised under bin no. 904 for $13.50.

Normally, Bob will include a copy of the original article if you simply ask.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Phil.

JERD

Reply to
JERD

Thats just the way that my old Tek 475A works, you use chopped at low timebase rates, and alternate at the faster ones, and it manages 250MHz. The 475 is definitely the king of the analog scopes, accurate, versatile, and you couldn't break it with an axe. Mine is probably 30 years old and still running fine, I bought it 10 years ago for less than half the price of a Rigol.

Reply to
keithr

I would say that the 2465B has that throne, but YMMV.

Reply to
JW

I'm just old skool, in 30 years I have never seen a 475 break, but the

2465 has some nice features.
Reply to
keithr