Charging Ni-MH batteries

Hi, all

Friend has a particular device that uses 3 Ni-MH AAA batteries. The problem is that all chargers we saw charge 2 or 4 batteries. None will take 3.

What would be the easiest way to trickle charge 3 batteries at a time?

So far we have few ideas:

  1. Build our own charger (not the easiest way out)
  2. Have few sets of batteries so that even number of batteries can be charged (messy)
  3. Have some sort of a "battery emulator" that wll sit in a charger as a fourth battery (just a wild idea at this time, did not really investigate it).

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Hi Rudolph.

If you need to charge 3 Ni-Mh batteries external to the device then you can get them. Jaycar sell at least one that does this and is run from the supplied 12V SMPS or a cigarette lighter plug. It has a separate LED for each cell, and fast charges. AA or AAA batteries.

Trickle charge? Do you need to trickle charge, or is this just an alternative?

Option 4. buy one from Jaycar :)

Dale.

Reply to
dale-google

DSE have a charger that will take from 1 to 4 cells - I use mine lots

David

Rudolf wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Thanks,

Will check out Jaycar and DSE.

For some reason, all teh charges I saw were only taking even number of batteries.

Rudolf

"quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...

Reply to
Rudolf

DSE M9561

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

My DSE Universal charger has space for 4 batteries, but I can just pop 1,2,3,or

4 in and it works fine - it also has a switch to choose NiCads or NiMH. I bought it about 2 years ago and use it for my Digital camera batteries regularly

David

Rudolf wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Hi Rudolf,

Considered buying 3 extra batteries and charging 2 or 4 at a time when all 6 are flat?

Regards, Murray R. Van Luyn.

--
32°02'14.23"S 115°53'21.30"E
http://www.review-a-gadget.com/

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:40:19 +1000, "Rudolf" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Build an adapter to charge them as a 3.6V pack from a cordless phone base station.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:12:24 +1000, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

... or adapt an old mobile phone (eg Ericsson A2618S) that uses a pack of 3xAAA NiMH cells. Then you'd have an AC adapter, a cigarette lighter adapter, and an intelligent charger with a state-of-charge display.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar