after some NEC projector repair advice

I scored two NEC projectors today for $25, these are a Multisync MT830+ and a Multisync MT1030+. They were sold as having a faulty power supply that would only run in standby mode, but turned out to be the air filter switch which stops the unit from running if the filter is missing.

Anyway after playing around with them for a bit, each had a display fault: the 1030+ has shadowing of text before the actual text and the 830+ has a magenta shadow before the actual image, this shadow is a few pixels horizontally before the image and is in perfect alignment. Changing the display setting to be upside down doesn't change the shadow position, i.e. it doesn't rotate with the image.

Has anyone experienced a similar fault with a LCD projector?. I was hoping the alignment could be adjusted somehow, possibly in software.

tia Mark Harriss

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Update: By by opening up the unit and disconnecting the red LCD the shadow disappears so it appears to be the red lcd that is out of alignment.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Are there alingment screws for said LCD?

Reply to
Mitch McCreath

Yes there are adjustments screws but I understand it's very hard to set up without the correct software and jigs.

I managed to play around with the projector some more: I had to find the remote for it first as I couldn't select a source without it. The projector has complementary colours in perfect alignment: yellow, cyan and magenta but red green and blue all have shadows: e.g. green comes out yellowish with a cyan shadow. It was just that red seemed more noticeable than the other colours.

I suspect the mechanical alignment is fine if the complementary colours come out fine each using two of the LCD's then they have to be aligned.

I might see if I can contact NEC and see what they think over the phone, it may be something simple but expensive to fix.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Mark,

don't bother calling NEC, you'll get sent straight to a service centre.

Sounds like the red LCD is out of alignment. There will be 2 or 4 (probably

4) screws holding the lcd panel. Some projectors have alignment tools, some don't. With patience I can get a 1024 x 768 panel alignment within 1 pixel. First attempt I ever made took me over an hour

As for source, confirm a real email address and I'll send you a little generic alignment program, connect projector to pc via vga cable and you are set.

If alignment of the panel is good then you are probably screwed without a service manual and service software, I cannot speak for NEC but the Panasonic software I have used is specific for each model. The next question is how convergence of the red panel came to be out.

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark Hathaway