Transformer DC resistance value estimate needed

Can anyone give me a ballpark on the DCR of this particular small tube-PSU-type transformer to plug into PSU Designer II?

Reply to
bitrex

You can ask Hammond directly. snipped-for-privacy@hammondmfg.com

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

** Assuming the tranny has a regulation factor of 10%, that equates to 6 volts copper loss on the primary under full load.

Rated load is 36 VA plus a little for Imag gives 40VA.

So the primary current with resistive load is 0.33amps rms.

Makes the primary R = 18ohms.

A similar, 240V tranny would have four times the primary R.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Mouser has an ECAD model info on that transformer - but no stock:

Here is the Hammond classic xformer page:

Looks like 269JX is close to the 6K88VG.

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Great, thank you, seems to be in congruence with the similar Hammond-branded specs on the 269JX JD referred above, rated for 60mA output with around 11 ohms primary DCR and 350 ohms on the secondary.

A pretty nice piece for the price I think particularly given that I should be able pick up several in person at the warehouse and avoid shipping.

Only question I'm unsure of now is what format the program expects the transformer "source resistance" parameter in; whether it's the end-to-end secondary DCR plus the primary DCR referred to the secondary directly, or whether that needs to take into account in a full-wave center-tapped configuration that the load is only "seeing" half the secondary impedance at a time, unfortunately the included Help manual is not helpful here.

Reply to
bitrex

I suppose this is technically a design issue but sci.electronics.design makes fun of tubes. they think they're too GOOD for tubes. :(

Reply to
bitrex

Me, I would measure it with an ohmmeter (=> copper resistance) and then shrtocut the secondary and apply the adequate voltage at the primary so that the secondary current is OK and measure the primary current (=> the iron resistance).

This give copper loss and iron loss.

Reply to
Look165

Mouser Sponsors Formula E All-Electric Racing for 5th Year

Feb 5, 2019 - Mouser Electronics, T

Reply to
bruce2bowser