Sony dvd recorder RDRC100

Has anyone managed to change the hard disk drive in one of the above? I th ink that if I take the 160 GB HD out and using another 1 TB disk of the the same characteristic to make a clone of the Sony disk, then I might be able to put the clone back into the machine and erase all the film and so get a n empty huge disk capacity. I would like to keep all the films and documen taries etc that are on the first disk and if I can do it once I could do it any number of times.

Any ideas as to whether or not it would work? If I made a clone would it ju st be the same size as the original disk or might it leave the extra space as just a bigger partition? I was thinking of using Clonezilla or is there a better method?

Thanks George.

Reply to
georgewbell

Depends on the firmware. If it uses some form of OS like linux, it will probably work. Found an (off-topic) article claiming the chipset is from Samsung:

With dark marketing tricks the disk size may be a hard-coded constraint.

Cloning the 160GB on a 1TB will have it still reporting 160GB. If you want to reach beyond that size, the partition table must change. Chances are slim the firmware will support partitions. I would try a 1TB partition with the files merely copied over from the 160GB disk. Just make sure the 160GB disk stays unmodified in the process... It's your only fallback.

Cheers!

Reply to
c4urs11