RF-modulator damages fidelity?

I read online on the page advertising one RF modulator for sale that it would damage fidelity. Is this just as true for all RF modulators? And is it substantial?

I want to buy a DVD recorder and use the modulator to play through TVs that have only a co-ax connector. These tvs have worked fine with VCRs but VCRs I guess either have a built-in RF modulator or maybe more likely, the signal is always RF until just before the audio and video jacks. (Why can't DVD recorders be built the same way? And make my life simple.)

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

The DVD format is meant to be of the highest possible quality for the cost. There are limitations with the RF system used in TV sets unless they are in digital. To have high quality RF for home use the cost would be too high.

If you were to have a consumer DVD recorder, it should have at least an RF input in order to be able to record conventional TV shows. But, the quality is poor compared to a digital video source using component baseband video.

For what you want to do you just have to get a low cost A/V to RF modulator. You can then distribute its output around your home.

To answer your question. When converting a baseband A/V signal to RF there will be a degradation of quality.

Jerry G. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Jerry G.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you compare the RF output of the RF modulator to the current analog broadcast signal quality? I don't need better than I have now.

Of course. I didn't ask my question well. Do you think it will be substantial, that the digital signal through the A/V jacks and then through the RF modulator to the TV will be worse than what I currently get using the same antenna with analog signals passing-through the VCR to the tv.

Thanks again.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

As long as it's a decent quality modulator, it should look at least as good as over the air. You can get true professional modulators if you look around on ebay, those are what are used in cable TV headends.

Reply to
James Sweet

That's an analog signal, not digital.

This is a meaningless question, unless you were comparing the DVD played over a broadcast station with the same DVD played in your home.

Assuming the modulator is well-engineered -- and who knows whether it is or isn't? -- there should not be much difference in quality.

You're asking a question not unlike someone picking up a jar of strawberry preserves from a company they've never heard of and asking a stranger whether it tastes good. How is that person supposed to know?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thanks. I will soon come to terms with the question in the next thread and I'll get a moderately good one, and maybe the transition to digital won't be bad for me, or too expensive. .

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

What does any of this have to do with digital? Neither the input or output of a modulator is digital. If what you want to do is recieve over the air digital TV, you need a digital converter box.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm going to get one of those too, and/or a dVD recorder.

In short, the DVD recorder only will only have Digital RF output, unlike the antenna now, and the VCR now, which have analog RF output.

In long, the DVD recorders I am looking at have a tuner and will provide composite (Right/Left/Video is composite?) output, but to use it on the TV in the same room, that tv needs to have matching jacks. Right now the tv in that room only has co-ax RF input, so I need the modulator.

Even if I get a different tv for that room, the easiest way to provide a signal to the other tvs in the house is to use an RF modulator and the current co-ax that runs through the house.

I hope the fidelity will be good enough. Based on what you said, it probably will be, (I'm currently not that picky, but otoh, I'm psyched up that digiatl will be a lot better.)

The other possible plan, to run s-video or composite to all those tv's is feasible, but a lot of work. Even if I do it, it won't be ready right away, and the RF-mod plan can be done in an hour or less.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

I know of no consumer modulator -- built-in or separate -- that generates an ATSC RF signal. There would be little point to it.

I don't think you have a good understanding of how video modulation and distribution work.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

OK, let me put it this way. Without the RF modulator, the DVD recorder will only have line output, unlike the antenna now and the VCR now, which have RF output. Since most of my tvs only have RF input, I need the modulator.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

The output of the DVD recorder will probably not be digital, it will be either composite video, or component, both use RCA plugs and both are analog.

Reply to
James Sweet

OK. Thanks.