radio static

Our lcd computer monitor is causing alot of static on some am radio stations.

Was wondering what type of capacitor to use to filter?

Thanks.

Reply to
zirath

Taking out the trusty RS Flavor Radio, I find all kinds of trash and birdies near the monitor, along with power line grundge, computer noise, and flourescent light trash. Try rotating the radio or monitor ??

greg

Reply to
GregS

3 ferrite rings, 2 on the binary/analog cable, and one on the power cable, and if it has an external supply a fourth one on the low voltage power cord,close to the body of the monitor. Also grounding the computer and monitor as well as possible(not always possible). Short straight leads to a short ground lead(if available).
Reply to
Sjouke Burry

ies near the monitor,

h.

If the monitor is 'radiating' RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) capaciors may not be the answer. Separating the two items and or shielding the monitor with a grounded metal box may reduce it. If you have the monitor and the radio plugged into the same AC supply outlet pluging the radio in via a line filter 'might' help.

Reply to
terry

AM is very susceptible to this kind of interference so there may not be much you can do, a while back I was having problems with FM reception - at the time I had access to split type clip-on ferrite collars from scrap equipment and clipping these onto the mains leads for everything (including the radio) got the interference down to a bearable level. It might be worth a try if you can get hold of some ferrite collars, the one piece non-splittable types are more common but can only be used on leads with removable plugs, you'll need some splittable clip-on types for the leads with moulded plugs.

Reply to
ian field